local print spooler is not running with 7 due to canon mx850 install.

Ok so I upgraded my netbook from xp to 7. I have a canon mx850 network printer installed in my network. I first installed my school printer. Then I went to network, and located my printer and hit install driver. After that, it installed, but it's giving me CRAZY print spooler problems.

First, it keeps saying local print spooler is not running (that's a damn lie). I restarted it multiple times and restarted my computer.

Neither has helped

I then went to the canon website and tried to install their drivers.

that didn't help because it can't install bceause the print spooler is not running.

i can't print a damn thing and being a student, i need to print!

restarting the print spooler won't due anything, this seems to be a bug in 7 with the network printer drivers.
|
Answer
Answer

Hi amirkhan780,

If the Print Spooler service fails when printing, when Windows starts or it cannot be restarted, the usual reason is that one or more printer drivers is defective.

Follow these 2 methods to clear remove printer and printer drivers as well as to clear the printer spooler.

Method 1: Delete the printer from Control Panel.

1.       Open Printers by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.

2.       Right-click the printer that you want to remove, and then click Delete.

If you can't delete the printer, right-click it again, click Run as administrator, and then click Delete. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Now try adding the printer. If the problem persists, go to method 2.

Method 2: Delete certain keys in the registry to remove printers and printer drivers

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following link.

Methods for backing up your files
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Methods-for-backing-up-your-files

Here's how to clean up the print spooler from registry editor.
If possible, remove any printers that are listed in the Printers window.

To remove a printer, right-click the printer in the Printers window, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.

1. In the Printers window, on the File menu, click Server Properties.
2. On the Drivers tab, remove all of the installed printer drivers.

To remove a printer driver, click the driver, click Remove, and then click Yes to confirm.

3. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
4. Export the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print

5. Delete any items that are listed under the following keys (do not delete the keys themselves):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

6. Delete any non-default items that are listed under the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Monitors

7.  Delete any items that are listed under the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers

8. Quit Registry Editor.

9. Restart your computer, and then reinstall the necessary printer and drivers.

Download the driver from the link below:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=334&modelid=16279

For guide on printer installation, see:

Install a printer
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-printer

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!

Regards,
Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,469 Applies to: