Question

Q: Limited Resolution is 1024 X 600 and no matter what I do, that is the mazimum screen resolution I can acheive. This thread is locked from future replies

My Acer Aspire One series netbook has a small screen. It's physical resolution is 1024 X 600 and no matter what I do, that is the mazimum screen resolution I can acheive. This makes some programs and windows on my screen look rediculously small and some animated web pages unviewable. Is there a way to somehow trick my computer into thinking that the stock screen is larger to bypass the 1024X600 barrier?

PC: Acer Aspire One D250-1Bb

Original title: Limited Resolution.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I suppose you want the programs and windows bigger than they currently are? If so you need the resolution to be smaller NOT bigger!! Try bumping the screen resolution down to 800x600 and see how it works.   My"> favorite threads | Computer tips       Contact me | 'Gadget' programs                (Help me build a new PC )

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, I said...
 This makes some programs and windows on my screen look rediculously small and some animated web pages unviewable
...whcih means I want them to look smaller

I want to be able to go beyond the 1024X600 (physical) limit

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, if the monitor maxes out at 1024x600, that is as far as you can go, as that is the limit of what the monitor can display.   My"> favorite threads | Computer tips       Contact me | 'Gadget' programs                (Help me build a new PC )

Sorry this didn't help.

No, I heard of software that can trick the screen into thinking its bigger so that it compresses the screen.

Example:

To display 2048 X 1200 on a 1024 X 600 screen each pixel on the screen would display 4 pixels compressed into one

1 pixel = O                                       1024 X 600
4 pixels compressed into 1 = OO        2048 X 1200
                                          OO

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

Hmm... have never heard of any software that does that, have you tried finding something that will work on google? Still don't get why you say the pages/windows look ridiculously small and you want them smaller . Doesn't make any logical sense....   My"> favorite threads | Computer tips       Contact me | 'Gadget' programs                (Help me build a new PC )

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  As an example:
There is a site called "Webkinz" that my daughter has tried to play on her Acer Aspire One.  The site uses Adobe Flash, and the site resolution is set at 1024x760.  Her resolution is 1024x600, and the bottom of the screen is cut off.  The window frame is fixed, so you cannot resize or even move the window, and as a result, the game is unusable because all of the game controls are in the section that is cut off.

It is a very poor programming job done by Webkinz, and they have no fix for it.

... and Webkinz is not alone.  There are several other games out there that require a 1024x760 resolution or greater and will not operate unless it is detected.

This is why you would want to downscale your screen ... just to get your games to run, even though it would be small.  Reducing the resolution to 800x600 would have no effect on this, since these games cannot run on that resolution.

I would even be happy with a scrolling display, since the horizontal pixel resolution is correct.  I am sure my daughter would not mind scrolling down to get to those controls that are otherwise right not accessible.

There is a program called "a1ctl" (you would have to google it), that allows for both downsizing and scrolling to get your display from 1024x600 to 1024x760.  The problem is that it only can change the resolution in Windows XP.  For those of us using Windows 7, there really isn't anything out there yet, to the best of my knowledge.  I am hopefully looking, though.

That is the only thing that has personally kept me from buying one.  My daughter, with the exceptions of what I said above, loves hers.  If anyone comes across anything to fix this, please post it here, and I will do the same.

Craig

Sorry this didn't help.

I have finally found something that works on my daughter's Acer Aspire One, without having to download anything:

1) Run regedit
2) Search and modify all values "Display1_DownScalingSupported" from "0" to "1"
3) Restart the system
4) Enjoy with the two new resolutions 1024x768 i 1152x864

This overrides the maximum of 1024x600.  To get into regedit, you will need to browse in Explorer to C:\Windows\ , right-click "Regedit.exe" and choose "Run as administrator".  Then, follow the above instructions.  Much to my surprise, it worked!

Hope this will work for you!

Craig

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

I have finally found something that works on my daughter's Acer Aspire One, without having to download anything:

1) Run regedit
2) Search and modify all values "Display1_DownScalingSupported" from "0" to "1"
3) Restart the system
4) Enjoy with the two new resolutions 1024x768 i 1152x864

This overrides the maximum of 1024x600.  To get into regedit, you will need to browse in Explorer to C:\Windows\ , right-click "Regedit.exe" and choose "Run as administrator".  Then, follow the above instructions.  Much to my surprise, it worked!

Hope this will work for you!

Craig

Thanks for the info, but i'd have to say that on my Acer Aspire One 250 running Windows 7 (not by default) the resolution is still maxed out at 1024 X 600

Sorry this didn't help.

have u found solution help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee plz

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem, to get my net book to work on my tv, I need the screen resolution to be 1366x 768

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 12,992 Last updated: April 9, 2018 Applies to: