Lexmark 8350 no longer working....

I have a Lexmark x8350 installed on Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

I've used this printer for a very long time. It recently stopped working. The driver is installed and such....I just can't figure out why I get errors telling me that I must install a printer to be able to print. THEN I get an error telling me the local print spooler is disabled. I enable it, and get another error telling me that I need to enable "bi--derectional communication" to the printer. I do that and recieve all these errors repeatedly. I have downloaded various drivers via Lexmark and nothing is making this printer work again.

*NOTE* Moved the printer to my other PC running Vista and it works, so it is not the printer. HELP someone! I need this printer to work on this PC because I'm in college and need it to work!

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,678 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Rednex31566,

As you mention the printer stopped working recently, I’d like to know if you made any changes to your computer/printer recently.

Is the printer networked to perform print functions?

Please see the steps to enable Bidirectional communication to the printer.

1.       Click on Start button, and type Devices and Printer in search box, press enter to open it.

2.       Select your printer and check it is selected as the default printer.

3.       Now, right-click on the printer and select "Properties"

4.       In ports tab, make sure enable bidirectional support is selected.

5.       If it is enabled, disable it and check.

The spooler provides support for bidirectional ("BiDi") communication between an application or driver and a printer, so that the printer and computer can exchange data. This support enables the application or driver to send one or more requests to the printer, and the printer to respond to these requests. For more information visit the link below,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms802199.aspx

Also see the causes if Bidirectional communication is not established in your printer.

Please check the USB connection

1.       Check that the USB cable is connected to the computer. The USB port on the back of the computer is marked by the USB symbol. Plug the long, flat end of the USB cable into this port.

2.       Make sure that the smaller, squarer end of the USB cable is plugged into the back of the printer.

3.       Check that the USB cable is not damaged and that the light is on.

Make sure the printer is receiving power

If the button is not lit, the printer may not be receiving power.

1.       Plug the printer into a different outlet.

2.       If the printer is plugged into a surge protector, unplug the printer, and plug it directly into an electrical outlet.

Make sure the print server is working

If the printer is connected to an external print server, the problem may be with this print server. Check to make sure the device is working properly and that the printer is connected to the network.

Hope this information helped you.

Regards

Yaaser - Microsoft Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.