iPad: MTP USB Driver / Apple Mobile Device Support Driver update failed - access denied

Dear all,

I am struggling getting iTunes/iPad/AMDS running again (Win7 Ultimate 64Bit). After doing the last iTunes update to 11.1 I am not able to install the Apple Mobile Device Support any longer. The installation of usbaapl64 fails. Even a manual update is not possible (access denied).

Before uninstalling, the iPad was recognized as Apple Mobile Device Support but using the old version located at system32. Same result when trying to update the driver manually - access denied. After uninstalling the ADMS the iPad now is recognized as Apple iPad at portable devices (in dev mgmt). Updating the driver (and selecting the usbaapl64 from /CommonFiles/Apple/Apple Mobile Support folder) still fails - access denied.

Even turning off UAC, using the hidden admin account and starting Windows in safe mode won't grant access. I have no idea what to do now. Is it normal behavior or is there something extremely wrong within my system? I just don't want to do format my system.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Windows is up-to-date
P.P.S.: Tried many solutions from Apple, blogs, forums, google, re-installing iTunes and what have you. Nothing worked.
Answer
Answer
Got it.

By having a look into the log files setupapi.app.log and setupapi.dev.log at C:\Windows\inf I found out that the installer/device management was not able to create a temp folder within C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore and was further not able to copy files to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository.

After modifying access rights (gave SYSTEM and me full access) I was able to update the MTP USB driver to the actual Apple Mobile Device Support driver. Subsequently I was able to install iTunes without any issues when installing the AMDS driver.

Took me just 4 days to the hint with looking into the log files mentioned above -.-

Cheers.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2022 Views 10,465 Applies to: