Installing device driver software dialogue activates everytime Windows 7 starts & tries to install items already installed

An annoying issue has recently started on my windows 7 Pro (64bit) Tosh laptop. When I start or restart the PC the Driver Software Installation dialogue box pops up to Install device drivers for Intel ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller 2934, 2935, 2936, 2937, 2938, 2939 ,293A, 293C and all 5 USB Root Hubs.  the installations always fails. I understand that this would be fine if it were not for the fact that these items are already installed and functioning correctly as stated in Device Manager.

All I want to do is to stop this from happening. Clearly something is causing this but what is not clear. Would anybody be kind enough to please assist me with this.

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2018 Views 1,277 Applies to:

Hi,

1. Have you made any changes in the computer recently?
2. What is the model number of the toshiba computer?

Expand USB controller in device manager and check if he sees any error mesage or exclamation mark

a. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.‌

b. In the list of hardware categories, find USB Controller and check for exclamation mark.

As all the hardware devices have drivers associated similarly USB devices also have it. Sometimes proper drivers do not get detected after the initial installation so reinstallation of the drivers helps resolve the issues.

You may check with the issue after uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers.  

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click System and Maintenance, click System, and then click Device Manager.

Note:If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click System, and then click Device Manager.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

3. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

Check if at all there is an exclamation mark along the driver, it suggests issues with the driver installed.

4. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If you still face the same issue then you may check for the updated USB device drivers using windows update. Refer to the below link for assistance–

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

If the issue sill persists I would request you to check for chipset driver updates which you can get at the manufacturer website. The chipset drivers normally incorporate USB controller drivers as well.

Please let me know if the issue still persists. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Good day Ratandeep and apologies for not responding sooner.

I've been busy attending to this issue and believe I have found the source of the problem.
I run my own PC repair business out of Cape Town South Africa and was rather embarrassed to have to ask this support question which in essence is ridiculous as no-one knows everything right?

Suffice to say I have it narrowed down to one particular Windows Update KB2862330 which wasn't selected by default but I must have inadvertently checked the box. Normally Updates progress with no or very little issues and in truth who has the time to check the details of each and every update. Besides, like most people in our business there are a million other things going on all the time.

I have however, learn't a valuable lesson from this to more mindful of updating Windows. I think maybe, Microsoft should colour code potentially problematic updates rather than expect folk to read up on every issue pertaining to each update before installing. After all, a default installation of most flavours of Windows sets Windows updates on automatic download and install (which naturally I change to manual update and install).

We live and learn hey.

Anyway, I'll update this thread should I find any other issues associated with this problem.
Thanks again for your reply.

regards

ref - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862330/en-us

Sorry this didn't help.

Good day Ratandeep,

Just a quick update to my previous post.

I decided to install the problematic update KB2862330 taking into consideration the suggested workaround solution outlined in scenario 2 of  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862330/en-us which related to the issue my PC was having.  Sadly disabling the enhanced USB controllers then reactivating as per instruction yielded a negative result and the PC was left once more with the constant driver reinstallation dialogues and failed to install results.

Sensibly I had ensured an image backup before installing the offending update so restoring it was painless enough. I would use Windows restore if I had faith in it but sadly it has never worked for me in Windows 7 and was patchy at best in XP before. So for now, I have decided to not include this update until such time a workable solution can be found. Please advise accordingly.

Kind regards

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I am sorry for late response.

I would suggest you to install all updates and also try following this article and check if it helps.

Functionality issues on USB devices that are connected to a Windows 7-based computer that has an Intel platform
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528984/en-us

Please let me know if the issue still persists. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.