Install Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel v2.0.1.1 on Windows 7

I am trying to install Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel v2.0.1.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Extracting the zipped folder you get 3 files: 

Following the installation instructions in the readme:

Readme for Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel v2.0.1.1

THIS TOOL IS UNSUPPORT BY MICROSOFT PRODUCT SUPPORT SERVICES

System Requirements
===================
- Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional

Installation instructions
=========================
1. Copy VCdRom.sys to your %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder. 
2. Execute VCdControlTool.exe
3. Click "Driver control"
4. If the "Install Driver" button is available, click it. Navigate to the %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder, select VCdRom.sys, and click Open.
5. Click "Start"
6. Click OK
7. Click "Add Drive" to add a drive to the drive list. Ensure that the drive added is not a local drive. If it is, continue to click "Add Drive" until an unused drive letter is available.
8. Select an unused drive letter from the drive list and click "Mount".
9. Navigate to the image file, select it, and click "OK". UNC naming conventions should not be used, however mapped network drives should be OK.

You may now use the drive letter as if it were a local CD-ROM device. When you are finished you may unmount, stop, and remove the driver from memory using the driver control.

Following step 1 gives me this message:

Being the administrator I clicked continue and the file was moved.

Then when I get to step 3 I get:

Changing the properties of the VCdControl tool to to run in compatibility mode for Windows xp sorted this but them when I moved on to step 4 I could not find VCdRom.sys file. In fact many of the files in the %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder were apparently not there the only ones viewable were:

I have tried 'run as administrator' and running as a user both have the same effect.

I'm obviously missing something, can anyone help? 

Question Info

Last updated August 30, 2019 Views 19,470 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I suggest that you give this a look: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html. If all you want is a virtual DVD/CD-ROM drive, this is free and it works.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.