Q: atrhxusb.sys and driver_irql_not_less_or_equal This thread is locked from future replies

I have been having a terrible time with a new computer I have purchased, it is the infamous driver_irql_not_less_or_equal.

After searching the internet relentlessly for a solution to this problem, I have decided to post my own question, because it seems that this error is caused by faulty drivers or not properly installed drivers. I then searched for the driver named in the BSOD, athrxusb.sys, and found it belongs to my SMCWUSB-G, part number 99-012084-552.

I have followed the procedures of many forums before deciding to post, I have tried uninstalling old drivers, moving the wireless adapter to different USB ports, and reinstalling the drivers. I also used programs such as device doctor to locate old and outdated drivers to replace them. 

I would just go buy another wireless adapter, but I am worried that the driver, athrxusb.sys, will be required for any wireless adapter, no matter which I buy. I have seen that this error spans across multiple versions of windows operating systems, why not release a patch to fix this error? Is there one? If there is can it become more readily available to the public?

Ultimately I would like to fix the solution, buying a new device is not out of the option, I just want my PC to be able to connect to the internet without causing a BSOD and wireless is the only option. Thanks for the help!

Based on the Hardware Id's there are drivers available via Windows Update.

They appear to be older drivers but may actually work better, you'd have to try them out.

You can take a look and download the drivers here (you have to install the ActiveX control):
More on using Windows Update Catalog:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,644 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: