Q: How do I get Windows 7 to recognize a hard drive different from the "C" drive to be the default drive for program installations? I'd like to keep the O/S on the "C" drive, but would like to install my programs on a different and larger drive. This thread is locked from future replies

I'd like to set a default drive different than the "C" drive, how do I do it? The O/S will remain on the "C" drive, however.

I do not believe there is any way to designate any particular drive to always be the dive used for default program installations. That is a matter handled by the installer of the particular program. Most are set to determine the drive Windows is on and install to that drive to the default Windows Program directory. (Details differ as between 32 and 64 systems.)

To use a different drive, always choose to do a custom install. Most installers will offer that option. Sometimes it appears under a slightly different term but is easily recognized as such. Frequently you are offered the option of choosing the location during this custom install.

Hope this helps.

I used to install OS to one logical drive, Programs to another and data to yet another. XP and after, I have bowed to the default and install OS and Programs on one, and data on a different, logical drive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,118 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: