Q: Odd jumpy mouse behavior in Win 7 x64. I have an Acer aspire 5532, and when I use a USB mouse with the laptop, the mouse pointer is very inaccurate and jumpy. This thread is locked from future replies

When tracking the mouse in a single direction, the pointer has a tendency to slide perhaps 50 pixels off in another direction on its own.

I tried a separate USB mouse and encountered the same problem;  so, it is not the fault of the mouse.  The same mouse works fine on other computers.  It must, therefore, be a problem with the computer or OS.

I have tried the following:

1. re-installing the synaptics drivers
2. playing with every mouse setting
3. disabling the touchpad while using th emouse
4. re-installing the video drivers
5. booting into safe mode

None of these changes makes a difference.  I believe there is a problem with the OS that is causing this problem.

Hi hegemony,

Welcome to Microsoft Windows Forums.

I will need some more information to assist you better.

a)Have you tried in safe mode to check if the same problem has occurred?

You may follow the steps mentioned below:

Reduce Hardware Acceleration

To reduce hardware acceleration, please follow the following path:

Right click on desktop>Personalize>Display>Change Display Setting>Advance Setting>Troubleshoot>Change Setting.

Reduce hardware setting and press OK.

Clean Boot

To perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista, follow these steps.

1.      Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this imag, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

Collapse this imageExpand this imageIf you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2.      On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.      Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.      Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.      Click OK.

6.      When you are prompted, click Restart.

7.      After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

For more details, please visit the link mentioned below:

You may also want to perform online scan for virus and spyware.

Hope this information is useful.

Sujan – Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 5,165 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: