I receive the message 'The format did not complete successfully' when trying to format my pen drive through 'Computer Managment'

---------------------------

Virtual Disk Manager

The format did not complete successfully. 

OK   

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2018 Views 62,180 Applies to:
Answer
Hi,

1. What is the make and model number of the flash drive?

Some pen drive brands have formatting tools. You could visit their website and use them if any.

2. Are you formating in NTSF or FAT32?

If it is NTFS, you need to restart your computer after format.

Follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps resolve the issue.

Note: Please backup your data before formatting your pen drive

Step 1:

First, try formatting in safe mode

Step 2:

a. Open a DOS prompt (Start >> Run >> Type "cmd") and type:
attrib -r -h -s ./s x:\*.*

This will change the attributes of all of the files on the pen drive. Readonly, hidden, and system attributes will be removed.

b. Replace the X: with your pen drive's drive letter. Now you will be able to see them in Explorer, and delete them, without formatting anything.

Step 3:

Format with DOS commands

a. Open the DOS prompt (Start >> Run >> Type "cmd" in the box)
b. Type:
FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 /Q /V:PenDrive
This will reformat the Pen drive, using the FAT32 file system, and label the drive PenDrive. Replace X: with the actual drive letter of your Pen Drive. For more help on this command, type:
FORMAT /?
at the command prompt.

Step 4:

There could be a virus that may stop you formatting your pen drive. I'd have you run a virus chack using your security software once before attempting format again.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

54 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.