HP photosmart premium 309a unable to print protection fault accessing printer properties

I have been printing and scanning with no problems on HP photosmart premium 309a all in one printer with a wireless connection. One day I wanted to scan and the HP software said something about the device not being installed correctly. I uninstalled the entire HP software and reinstalled it. I was now able to scan but not print.

I cannot print a test page and printer properties gives a protection fault caused by a function address with an exception code.

Operating system is Windows 7 64 bit. I have downloaded the current software from HP to install on Windows 7 64 bit.

I have removed all other HP printers. I have uninstalled all printers from other computers and turn off other network computers and turned off and unplugged the printer and tried to reinstall again. Same error.

All other computers on the network can print fine.

I do get an error when trying to uninstall the HP software. It crashes near the end of the uninstall when removing files or applications or something.

Windows print troubleshooter is no help (I have tried it many times) and the Windows Fixit program finds an unspecified problem without a solution.

I have searched the internet and forums for a solution. I find the error with different printers going back into 2004 or 2005. I have seen the solutions that I have tried above but no other solution.

System restore will not restore because of and error in one of the HP Digital Imaging folders.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 2,178 Applies to:

Hi CaroSt01,

1. What the exact error messages you receive in printer properties and also when you use the fix it article?
2. What error you get when you try uninstalling the HP software?

Method 1:
I would suggest you to refer to the below link and check if the steps provided to uninstall the HP software assists you remove it properly. You may try the steps provided for Windows 7 also you can use the HP uninstaller utility if needed and check -

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=3737192&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c02259020

After uninstallation you may check if the installation can again be done properly for the printer and if that lets you print properly.

Method 2:

You can also check according to the below steps -
a. Open printer and devices. Select printer.
b. Select print server properties and under drivers remove all drivers related to HP.
c. Then again try installing the driver again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The HP uninstaller came up with the following error

Cleanup Progress

Removing unnecessary components

Current progress - software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather\Windows\System Index\Start Pages\11

overall progress step 10/12   80%

HP Installer Uninstaller has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Close Program.

When clicking on the printer properties before I uninstalled the error message is:

Function address 0xf41af849 caused a protection fault exception code 0xc0000005.

I will now restart to finish my current uninstall and the reinstall and run Fix it to let you know exactly what information was provided but as I recall it was very nonspecific.

I reinstalled everything again. Same problem with not printing test page and function address causing protection fault. I ran the online fix it and the only error was printer not being shared. I allowed fix it to share the printer and that did not help. The error filed was saved:

Issues found
Printer HP Photosmart C309a series is not shared with the homegroup
If a printer isn't shared on the homegroup, other computers might not be able to use the printer.
Fixed
Share the printer HP Photosmart C309a series with the homegroup
Succeeded
Issues checked
Printer HP Photosmart C309a series cannot be contacted over the network
Network problems might be preventing the printer from printing.
Checked
Printer paper is low or empty
When the printer paper is low or empty, you might not be able to print.
Checked
Printer toner is low or empty
When the printer toner is low or empty, documents might appear faint or not print at all.
Checked
Printer has a paper jam
A paper jam is preventing the printer from operating normally.
Checked
Printer driver requires update
An outdated printer driver can prevent printing.
Checked
Printer is turned off
The printer needs to be turned on in order to print.
Checked
A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing
When a print job is caught in the print queue, newly submitted printing jobs can't be completed properly.
Checked
The Print Spooler service is experiencing problems
Errors in the Print Spooler service might interrupt printing.
Checked
Print Spooler service isn't running
When the Print Spooler service isn't running, you may not be able to install printers, connect to a network printer, or print to a printer.
Checked
HP Photosmart C309a series is not the default printer
Applications may not be printing to printer HP Photosmart C309a series because it is not the default printer.
Checked

Issues found Detection details
Printer HP Photosmart C309a series is not shared with the homegroup Fixed
If a printer isn't shared on the homegroup, other computers might not be able to use the printer.
Share the printer HP Photosmart C309a series with the homegroup
Succeeded
Sharing the printer HP Photosmart C309a series with the homegroup will allow other computers to use the printer.
Issues checked Detection details
Printer HP Photosmart C309a series cannot be contacted over the network Checked
Network problems might be preventing the printer from printing.
TCP/IP printer port

Port name: HP_192.168.1.100_MY955F90V8058R
Port number: 9100
Contact your network administrator
Informational

Windows could not fix the problem. Please contact your network administrator.
Printer paper is low or empty Checked
When the printer paper is low or empty, you might not be able to print.
Add paper to the printer
Informational

Add more paper to the printer and try printing again.
Printer toner is low or empty Checked
When the printer toner is low or empty, documents might appear faint or not print at all.
Replace the toner in your printer
Informational

Replace the toner and try printing again.
Printer has a paper jam Checked
A paper jam is preventing the printer from operating normally.
Clear any jammed paper from the printer
Informational

Go to the printer and check for messages in the status or display area on the printer that might tell you where the problem occurred. Follow any recommended steps to remove the paper jam and try printing again.
Printer driver requires update Checked
An outdated printer driver can prevent printing.
Update the printer driver
Not Run

Updating to the most recent printer driver might allow you to print.
Printer is turned off Checked
The printer needs to be turned on in order to print.
Turn on the printer
Informational

Turn on the printer and try to print again.
A print job in the print queue is preventing other print jobs from printing Checked
When a print job is caught in the print queue, newly submitted printing jobs can't be completed properly.
Cancel all jobs in the print queue
Not Run

Cancelling all print jobs to clear the queue might allow printing to resume. However, these print jobs will need to be resubmitted in order to print.
Delete all pending printing jobs
Not Run

Deleting all print jobs to clear the queue might allow printing to resume. However, these print jobs will need to be resubmitted in order to print.
Resume any paused print jobs and cancel other print jobs
Not Run

Resuming the paused print jobs and canceling other print jobs might cause old jobs to be automatically cleared.
Restart the Print Spooler service
Not Run

The Print Spooler service is experiencing problems Checked
Errors in the Print Spooler service might interrupt printing.
Update printer policies
Not Run

Isolating the printer drivers from the printing service might improve stability of the print spooler.
Print Spooler service isn't running Checked
When the Print Spooler service isn't running, you may not be able to install printers, connect to a network printer, or print to a printer.
Start the Print Spooler service
Not Run

Starting the Print Spooler service might fix the printer problem.
HP Photosmart C309a series is not the default printer Checked
Applications may not be printing to printer HP Photosmart C309a series because it is not the default printer.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been printing and scanning with no problems on HP photosmart premium 309a all in one printer with a wireless connection. One day I wanted to scan and the HP software said something about the device not being installed correctly. I uninstalled the entire HP software and reinstalled it. I was now able to scan but not print.

I cannot print a test page and printer properties gives a protection fault caused by a function address with an exception code.

Operating system is Windows 7 64 bit. I have downloaded the current software from HP to install on Windows 7 64 bit.

I have removed all other HP printers. I have uninstalled all printers from other computers and turn off other network computers and turned off and unplugged the printer and tried to reinstall again. Same error.

All other computers on the network can print fine.

I do get an error when trying to uninstall the HP software. It crashes near the end of the uninstall when removing files or applications or something.

Windows print troubleshooter is no help (I have tried it many times) and the Windows Fixit program finds an unspecified problem without a solution.

I have searched the internet and forums for a solution. I find the error with different printers going back into 2004 or 2005. I have seen the solutions that I have tried above but no other solution.

System restore will not restore because of and error in one of the HP Digital Imaging folders.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a HP Photosmart 309a series printer.  It has been working without any problems until about 2 weeks ago.  I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  I keep getting error messages when I try to print.

Message:   C:\Windows\splwow64.exe      "Function address 0xf117f849 caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005)       Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed" 

I have uninstalled and re installed.  Printer Status says everything is ok, computer says printer is ready, then it will not print.  I just keep getting messages.  I can print with the commands from the printer itself, but can not print from the computer.  I am not real computer smart, but can get follow instructions, if someone can please just tell me what is wrong and how to fix it.  I did get the printer icon on the monitor, but when I checked to see what was printing, I got a script error. 

I can print a diagnostic page in HP Solution Center screen and a test page, but not a sample page.  I just don't know what else to do.

Oh yeah, when the error message comes up on screen the "function address changes'. It always has the 0xf_ _ _f849, but the middle numbers change.  I just don't know what any of this means. 

Thank you for any help you can give me 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem and cannot get the printer to work.  I am getting the same error messages.  Microsoft support-- where are you?  The "solution" from Meghmala did nothing for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi gcb117,

I would recommend creating your own thread so that the community can best focus on your specific issue.

Thanks for using Microsoft Answers!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello! I am having the same issue. The printer works with our other two printers (desktop with Windows XP and laptop with Windows 7). I am having your same issues with this desktop with Windows 7.

I am crossing my fingers you all have found the solution!1

Good day and Thank you!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I still don't have an answer and cannot print to this printer.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem and have tried all day to get it to work.  Installed on my laptop with Windows 7 just fine, but will not work on my desktop now.  UGH!!!

Sorry this didn't help.