HP Deskjet 3000 Printer J310a is not recognized by the computer

Original title: HP printer

I've been hitting a brick wall with this problem. I have an HP Deskjet 3000 Printer J310a that absolutely refuses to be recognized anymore by my desktop. The printer was installed fine on the computer previously but was left disconnected for a few months. When reconnected it, the desktop didn't recognize it at all. At the time it would still connect to my laptop (which has since gotten a new HD and is no longer a workaround option) both wirelessly and via usb so I know the printer and usb cable both work fine. Any thoughts on why a previously working, less than 3 year old desktop/printer package suddenly won't recognize each other. HP support says they don't support this "one of the greatest deskjet printers they've made" anymore (after less than 3 years?) but for $24.99 they'd email me an update to the driver.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2019 Views 374 Applies to:
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've already been through every support and driver option for my printer on the HP site. Since it worked on my laptop both with and without the usb cable but not on my desktop, I'm assuming it's something that changed with the desktop while the printer was disconnected. What that change is though is anybody's best guess though as that covered a span of several months and I can't account for every software change that was made on my machine during that time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer?
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, was the first thing I tried when it threw up the error when first plugged it back into the desktop. I've reached a workaround that explicitly demonstrates that it is a problem with my desktop machine though. I went ahead and tried reinstalling the printer on the laptop. Despite what HP told me about it being because the driver is out of date, it installed on the laptop just fine, at least wirelessly. From there I was able to do a remote install of the printer. So, while I'll have to have my laptop running to print anything from the desktop (at least until I can purchase a router), I do once again have the capability to print. 

I'm just glad I decided to at least TRY installing to the laptop. Once HP Support told me the driver was outdated I dismissed the idea for awhile figuring that the new HD and fresh install of Windows would just give me the same results.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing the information.

If the drivers are outdated, it is best not to install the outdated drivers. Make sure to install the updated drivers once it is released by the manufacturer. Do let us know if you face any issue or have any concerns and we’ll be happy to help.

Rohit S

Sorry this didn't help.