How does displayswitch.exe work in Windows 7?.

Folks,

I have come across Window 7's  awesome feature - Presentation Mode (Windows Key + P) - recently.  I understood that displayswitch.exe is the executable to setup required modes like expand and etc..  I have only one Monitor connected with my PC. In this case, If I execute, displayswitch.exe /expand command,  secondary monitor is enabled immediately  under display properties > settings tab (though Second monitor hasn't been attached with PC). I would like to know, how does displayswitch.exe work  in the above case under  windows 7?.  Is there anyway to implement the same using any windows API or other APIs ?.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

If you don’t like keyboard shortcuts you can also create a desktop or taskbar shortcut to the projector menu. To do that, create a shortcut to "C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe".

Displayswitch.exe also has command line parameters that allow you to create a shortcut that will set a specific display mode.  

/internal

/clone

/extend

/external

If you want to use APIs with this command, you would need to post your query in MSDN for better support.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssdk/threads

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2020 Views 48,970 Applies to: