How do I update my BIOS driver after upgrading to Windows 7?- My computer keeps crashing.

I ran the windows 7 compatibility program and it said my computer was Windows 7 ready. I bought the Windows 7 upgrade for Vista, and installed it. Then I started having major problems. My computer will crash or the internet browser will freeze, or both. I contacted Microsoft; sent them my computers system info./error reports/etc. And.

1). They informed me that my Flash & BIOS driver was WAY too old.

2). My driver for my display card needs updating.

3). I need to fix the DVD/CD driver needs fixing.

4). The driver for my sound card needs to be updated.

If I don't fix/update these drivers my computer will continue to crash. They informed me that the program, "Windows 7 compatability check", only checks for basic running requirements [i.e. power, speed, and computer space] not everything. They/He told me that my 2 yr. old computer was too old to run Windows 7, and that I should:

buy a new computer/ have someone install a new motherboard and drivers/ or go back to Vista.

Why didn't the compatability check look for such important and necessary problems?

Now that I have upgraded to Windows 7, I cannot use Gateways driver updates [for Vista] because they won't install.

Please, please help me.

Answer
Answer
I will do the install, it wouldn't let me before when I tried. It kept telling me that I don't have authority to install.  Do I need to run it as administrator?

That's what it says in the Readme.txt file. I did say to read it and print out the flashing instructions before starting. Also check the list of comptuer models in the same file to make sure yours is on it.

From the Readme.txt file:

---------------------------------------------------

1.  If you have not already done so, locate and double-click the 9539750.exe file that you originally downloaded from the Internet and execute the file.  Files extract to the C:\Cabs\9539750 folder.

2.  In the C:\Cabs\9539750\Winphlash folder, double-click Winplash.exe.

Note: If you already are running Windows Vista, you must right-click Winplash.exe and then choose Run as administrator. (VISTA =same as Windows 7 here)

3.  In the Phoenix WinPhlash dialog box, verify that Backup BIOS and Flash BIOS with new setting are selected.

Note: If the location is already listed as C:\Cabs\9539750\Winphlash\BIOS Files\89_91_24.ROM, click Flash BIOS.  Otherwise, skip to step 4.

4.  In the Specify new BIOS file window, click Browse.  Browse to C:\Cabs\9539750\Winphlash\89_91_24.ROM, and then click Flash BIOS.

OR

5.  Manually type in the location C:\Cabs\9539750\Winphlash\89_91_24.ROM in the Specify new BIOS file field, and then click Flash BIOS.

6.  In the Phoenix WinPhlash dialog box, click OK.

7.  The BIOS is flashed.

8.  After the BIOS has completed, click Restart.

Removal

Because a computer must have a BIOS to operate, there is no removal process.  The BIOS cannot be removed after it has been upgraded.

Troubleshooting

If you have trouble flashing the BIOS, try the process again following the steps listed in the Installation section of this document.  If you are still unable to flash the BIOS, verify that you are actually attempting to flash the correct BIOS for your Gateway notebook computer.  If this process still fails, contact technical support.
-----------------------------------end of extract-----------------------

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2023 Views 25,640 Applies to: