how do i transfer files from a drive using usb to ata/atapi bridge

I am trying to transfer files from an old laptop (the cpu is broken) using an ata/atapi bridge.  The device manager recognizes the bridge, but no drive is showing up in my computer.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2019 Views 8,495 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

1.            Is the ata/atapi bridge compatible with Windows 7?

2.            Does your externally connected USB hard disk show up under Disk management?

I would suggest you to follow few troubleshooting steps to fix the issue on your computer.

Method 1:

Try plugging in the USB hard drive on to any other USB ports on your computer and check if that fixes the issue on your computer.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Method 2:

When you plug-in your USB hard drive it all appears to be working ok, but you can’t find it, this is a common issue with computers that have many drive letters in use, and the USB drive tries to use the same drive letter which is already assigned to another device and it can be seen.

To fix this, right click on Computer select Manage, choose Disk Management, now you can see your USB hard drive, right click and select, Change Drive Letter and Paths, now change the drive letter for one that’s not in use, Z is usually a safe choice.

Change, add, or remove a drive letter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter

You can also try to connect the external hard drive on some other computer running Windows 7 and check if the same issue persists.

Please provide us with additional information. So that we can help you fix the problem on your computer.

Hope this information helps you.

Microsoft Answers

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.