How can I remove an old printer driver folder from the Windows 7 Filerepository?

How can I remove an old printer driver folder from the Windows 7 Filerepository?  Move or delete requires System rights.  I upgraded from Vista to 7, and the Vista HP printer driver is loaded and cannot print.  I removed all the HP printer programs, but the driver persists.
Answer
Answer

To Manually Remove Any Remaining HP Print Driver Packages in Vista

A user may sometimes have trouble updating the HP Print Driver to a later version

because Windows believes a suitable driver already exists on the computer. In these

situations, a user can follow the simple process listed below to ensure the clean removal

of any residual driver files from the protected Windows File Repository which will allow

a clean install of newer versions of the HP print driver.

1.) Click on the Start Orb on your Vista taskbar. Click CONTROL PANEL

2.) From the Control panel window, double-click ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS

3.) In the Administrative Tools window, select PRINT MANAGEMENT

4.) The Print Management window will already have custom filters listed which will

show all installed printers. Since this tool has visibility to the network, we want to make

sure we are focusing on the context of the printers installed on the local computer.

Select and expand the corresponding location on your PC.

5.) You should  see all of the installed drivers (driver packages) and printers. You need to remove

any HP entries for your model listed under printers as you can’t remove any driver packages that are referenced by installed printers.

Select Printers under the (local) computer listing and in the center pane, right-

click on HP printer and select DELETE from the menu. Do this for any entry beginning with “HP your printer model”.

6.) Confirm the printer deletion.

7.) Proceed up to the DRIVERS category under the (local) computer as illustrated below.

If there are any HP Driver packages installed on the computer, they will be

listed there. Rick-click the listing for your HP printer and select REMOVE DRIVER PACKAGE from the menu.

8.) You will see a Print Management dialog appear as the system locates all associated

files and prepares for the deletion process. Once the files are located, the DELETE button

will become accessible.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 25, 2020 Views 98,348 Applies to: