Help with Epson Scanner that has stopped working; Epson support says it is windows.

Hi Microsoft,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I have an EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner running on a Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  About a month ago, the scanner stopped working. I have worked in depth with EPSON support line, and they believe it is a Windows problem.

SYMPTOM:
When starting Epson Scan, the error message is:  "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated."

WHAT I HAVE VERIFIED AND DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE:
1. Removal of all Epson drivers and programs using Control Panel: Programs and Features.
2. Detach USB cable, power off scanner
3. Reboot
4. Downloaded current drivers from Epson.  epson13936.exe ?dated ?July ?20, ?2010 2:54:21 PM
5. Install drivers.
6. Reboot (required by driver installer).
7. Attach and power up the scanner via direct USB connection.
8. Drivers are loaded.  Message says they install correctly.
9. Device Manager shows under Imaging devices the EPSON Perfection V500 as installed and working.  No errors or warnings.
10. When starting the Epson Scan program, the same error message appears.
11. Using Windows Paint, the scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS
a. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times now.  I have tried doing so with anti virus off (AVAST!)  I have tried doing so in SAFE mode.  Still the same error occurs.
b. I have stopped and restarted Windows Image Acquisition service 5x (advised by Epson) with no difference.
c. I have applied all Windows updates.
d. On another Windows 7 computer, I have successfully installed the same EPSON drivers and connected the same scanner and it works without error, and scans great.  So it is not the scanner, cable, or drivers supplied by Epson.

EPSON support says that it must be a problem with Windows

I would appreciate any suggestions on further steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2019 Views 34,043 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. We would be glad to help you.

I would suggest you to turn off Windows Firewall and check. Refer to the link below:

Turn Windows Firewall on or off

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-windows-firewall-on-off#turn-windows-firewall-on-off=windows-7

If disabling the firewall doesn’t work, then try disabling the antivirus.

Disable anti-virus software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If disabling the firewall works, then add the Epson program to the Windows Firewall exceptions list. Follow the steps below:

1. Press the "Start" menu at the bottom of your computer screen to display the Start menu. Choose "Control Panel" from the right side of the Start menu. The Control Panel window will open up onto the desktop.
  2. Double-click on the "Windows Firewall" icon from the Control Panel. The Windows Firewall dialog box will open.
  3. Choose the "Exceptions" tab at the top of the Windows Firewall dialog box (if necessary).
  4. Click the "Add Program" button at the bottom of this list to open the Add a Program dialog box.
  5. Click on the “browse” button and browse to the location below and add it as an exception:        C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\escndv\escndv.exe
  6. Click the "OK" button to close the Add a Program dialog box and add the selected program as an exception

For reference:

Help: Add a program to the Windows Firewall exceptions list

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736438(v=WS.10).aspx

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Deepak,

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I have done as you recommended and it did not make a difference.

These are my steps:

Attempt 1
1. Turned off Windows Firewall
2. Detached, recycled power on scanner, re-attached scanner.
3. Started EPSON Scan.  >>>  Same failure message
4. Checked MS Paint.  >>>  The scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

Attempt 2
1. Turned off both Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall
2. Detached, recycled power on scanner, re-attached scanner.
3. Started EPSON Scan.  >>>  Same failure message
4. Checked MS Paint.  >>>  The scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

Attempt 3
1. Uninstalled ESPON Scan (with both Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall DEACTIVATED)
2. Detached scanner
3. Rebooted
4. Deactivated both Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall
5. Installed EPSON driver epson13936.exe dated July 20, 2010 2:54:21 PM
6. Powered up and attached Scanner using USB
7. Installing drivers message appeared.  Then the message that "EPSON Perfection V500 is installed and ready to use."
8. Start EPSON Scan.  (both Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall still DEACTIVATED)>>>  Same failure message
9. Checked MS Paint.  >>>  The scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

(One additional thing to mention:  I have also tried connecting with a different USB port.  I moved the scanner to the USB port the mouse was connected to.  The mouse worked in the old USB port and still works in the new USB port.  So both USB ports are good.   The error with the scanner still occurs.)

I would appreciate any further assistance you can provide.

Thank you

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Does that Epson software feature the ABBYY Fine Reader add-in, if so uninstall it

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I recently had a problem installing a print driver on a printer that had previously worked fine. The problem it turned out was my new firewall. Have you changed any software prior to installing your scanner?

Second question:  have you tried installing the drivers / using the scanner following a clean boot? If so and it worked, then you'll need to add everything on your computer back in, one program / device at a time, in order to see when it stops working.

Third question:  what do you use for the software interface for the scanner, i.e., do you use the software that came with the scanner or some third party application?

I hope this helps; keep me posted.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Palcouk,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It was one thing I hadn't thought of.  

I uninstalled ABBY Fine Reader and rebooted.  Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.     Are there any other steps I need to do to complete this possible solution?

Regards

Sorry this didn't help.

BearPup,

Thank you so much for taking time to respond.

1. " Have you changed any software prior to installing your scanner?"   The scanner was installed and working correctly.   For no apparent reason the scanner stopped working.  No new software was installed from the time it last worked to the time it was found not to work.  However, it would seem obvious that something changed --  I just can't pinpoint it.   The system has received automatic updates from Windows and Avast! and perhaps other programs.     By the time we noticed the change, and I tried to fix it, the older instances of system restore had been pushed out by the newer fix attempts.  So I can't regress the system.

2.  "have you tried installing the drivers / using the scanner following a clean boot?"  I'm not quite sure what you mean by a clean boot.  I have booted in Safe mode, and it has failed.  Windows Image Acquisition does not run in Safe mode, and EPSON told me this was the service the scanner runs through.

If by "clean boot" you mean uninstalling and reinstalling Window 7 OS, the answer is, no, I haven't tried that.   That is a non-trivial and very time consuming option.   I would like to try all other options before that.

Is there a way to clean boot (without OS reinstall) that allows me to only add one program / service at a time?

3.  "what do you use for the software interface for the scanner, i.e., do you use the software that came with the scanner or some third party application?"
  I use capture program that comes with the scanner, EPSON Scan.    Note that Windows Paint acquires images through the Windows Image Acquisition service, so that attempt qualifies as a third party application.   The answer is therefore, I have tried both OEM and Third Party and they both fail.

I *really* appreciate your assistance on this, and look forward to your further input.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

By a clean boot we mean the Windows OS loaded with as few programs, services, and user options as possible.

The following is from my notes on how to do a clean boot:

Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or provide confirmation.

On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
Note This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

Click OK, and then click Restart.

For more information about how to perform a clean boot in Windows 7  see the Video: How to do a clean boot in Windows.
After the computer is restarted, you now have a clean boot environment. Do one of the following as appropriate:

· If you previously could not install or uninstall a program or an update, try to install or uninstall the program or update again.

Note If you receive the "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error during the installation or uninstallation, follow How to start the Windows Installer service when system services are not loaded, and then install or uninstall the program or update again.

· If the installation or uninstallation is successful, you have resolved your issue. Follow How to reset the computer to start as usual to reset your computer to the normal startup.

· If the installation or uninstallation still fails, that means this issue is not caused by application or service interference. You may have to go to Microsoft Support

for more specific support.

· If you previously could not run a program, try to run the program again.

· If the program runs correctly, that means this issue is caused by application or service interference. Follow How to determine what is causing the issue by performing a clean boot to determine what application or service causes the issue.

· If the program still does not run as expected, that means this issue is not caused by application or service interference.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

BearPup,

Thanks for that great tip about a clean boot! Didn't know you could do that.

I have done a clean boot, removing all non-Microsoft services (including AVAST!) from startup.  I detached, repowered, and re-attached the EPSON Scanner.   The system recognized the scanner and said it was operating correctly.

Unfortunately, the error still occurs when I try to use the EPSON Scan and MS Paint. 

I'm hoping you have another trick up your sleeves :-)

Samoht

Sorry this didn't help.

Samoht,

Well, no more tricks up my sleeve, but maybe some direction. When a clean boot doesn't fix a problem, the problem is most likely not caused by an application or service interference. If it was caused by such interference, it would stop causing the problem with the application / service not booted up.

Since you've gotten it to work previously in Windows it certainly is Windows compatible and rules out a defect. That leaves one option: something that isn't cleared in a clean boot is causing the interference.

When you do a clean boot can you run SFC /scannow (System File Checker)? I'd like to verify that none of the Windows system files is corrupt. I recently had that happen, and the only symptom at the time was that certain programs no longer worked as they should. It was only when I ran SFC that the defect was found.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

BearPup,

Thanks for shepherding me through this.  

I've run SFC /SCANNOW  (from command line as administrator).  There were no integrity problems found.  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Your comments make me wonder if there are potentially any windows services failing? 
I suppose I can run a disk repair option in case there is something wrong there...

Any other thoughts?

- Samoht

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.