Failure to install device driver for iPhone on Windows 7 - computer doesn't recognize iPhone is plugged in

I have Windows 7 and suddenly my iPhone 3G will not sync with my laptop.  The computer has stopped recognizing the phone being plugged in at all, yet it is recognized in iTunes.  When I plug the phone in it gives me the message...device driver failed to install.  I realize it's a compatibility issue and have searched through the forums and been on the phone with Apple support for FOUR hours and nothing has worked.  They even sent a new phone and it still doesn't work.  HOW do I find the driver that needs to be updated?  I've checked under device manager under the Universal Bus Port and it says the Apple driver is up to date.  It will occasionally let me sync my contacts and calendar with errors...but no music, photos, ringtones, etc.  Please help...I've wasted tons of time on this!!

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 61,869 Applies to:
Answer

Hi regsiler,

I suggest opening the Device Manager and in the View tab, click Show hidden devices. Remove any instances of the device, then restart.

Does the phone start to change when connected to the computer?

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

76 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.