External HDD problem (eSATA connection)

Hi I bought an external HD and it doesn't seem to work. Well to be fair, it works but only by USB. The caddy supports eSATA/USB connections however when I tried sing the eSATA cable which I bought new (came into today) - it doesn't seem to make a connection. (however USB works fine). I'm fairly sure the caddy/hd is set up correctly and in place and also my laptop (DELL XPS 15) has an eSATA port. The caddy I purchased (not on this website though)BigPockets.co.uk :: Sumvision Apex II 3.5 inch SATA Encosure £12.49 The eSATA cable I purchased1m eSATA to eSATA II / eSATA2 Lead / Wire: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics On the F2 Setup during boot up > advance tab SATA Operation : [AHCI] There is also ATA but its set on AHCI. eSATA Ports : Enabled. Is there something wrong with my laptop eSATA port, the hard drive, the caddy or the cable even? If anyone can reply/help me out - would be really helpful. To give more informaton, when I try boot up the laptop with eSATA plugged in, the dell logo appears but the loading bar just stops. if I use a USB, its fne without problems. just eSATA cable doesn't work.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2018 Views 1,387 Applies to:

Your caddy has USB connections, so how are you connecting to eSata port?

The link you provided for the cable is for that of a sata to sata connector and not usb to eSata

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The caddy has USB and eSATA. USB works fine but the transfer is too slow for what I'm doing which I then need to use the eSATA. I'm connecting it with a eSATA to eSATA but it just doesn't detect it. but its strange enough if the eSATA is plugged in before starting up the laptop - the loading/boot up just stops and doesn't continue, however if I use the USB cable it works. So I'm not sure whats the problem with it.. The cable says Technical Details * Length = 1m * Colour = RED * SATA data transfer speeds of up to 3Gbps (i.e. SATA II) * Supports SATA hot swap * Connections = eSATA to eSATA | Which eSATA is what I'm trying to use.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm only going by the enclosure link you posted, which states usb connection, no mention of eSata

Generally if a device is connected, then the PC fails to boot, its due to an incompatibility with that device/connection

Sorry this didn't help.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13646498/Sumvision-Apex-PLus-3-5-inch-SATA-External-USB-eSATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:13646498|prd:13646498 it says on the box, it supports e-SATA and USB. Did I buy something wrong.. or did the person sell me the wrong thing? This is really confusing now.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018G82V4/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= same product

Sorry this didn't help.

The new link indeed shows an eSata connector, if your PC fails to boot when connected via eSata either theres a problem with the cable or the eSata controler on the PC (same if once booted its not detected when you plug the cable in)

Sorry this didn't help.

Does that mean I don't have the driver for it or something?

In the device manager I do a controller for Intel(R) 5 Series 6 SATA AHCI controller  etc.. and i'm sure the drivers are up to date I would presume..

Do yo uthink the HD isn't compatible or?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have the similar situation...

My Laptop is HP DV6T

Ext HDD - http://www.thecus.com/product.php?PROD_ID=26

I recently tried to connect the Storage to the server... but it doesn't detect the device.

Sorry this didn't help.