Question

Q: Event Viewer Error & Warning. File 'PFC.SYS' not compatable? Longtime, no solution.

I am having a problem with a “PFC.SYS " file being blocked by Windows 7 Pro x64 as noted inEvent Viewer.  This also causes the DVD drive to fail to load (See the Warning below). I had troubleshot this for quite some time.  I had to re-install Windows and RMA a 2GB DIMM and the new LG Burner I just installed. Evidently, something really bad happened before I could do anything to elevate the issue.

I have since uninstalled the few applications that were said to have been using this file.iTunes, nVidia PureVideo Bronze Decoder, and CyberLink’s DVD Software that came with the newLG GH24LS50 DVDRAM Burner.  I have since re-installed the CyberLink Software so I can get them updated. I also, uninstalled the DVD Driver from within Device Manager, and installed (replaced)the standard drivers;cdrom.sys andGEARAspiWDM.sysIt seems to be working(basically).

Here are the Errors & Warnings I need to be rid of:

Log Name:     System

Source:       Application Popup

Date:         12/30/2010 3:29:16 AM

Event ID:     1060

Level:        Error

Description:

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\pfc.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Log Name:     System

Source:       Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

Date:         12/30/2010 3:29:16 AM

Event ID:     219

Task Category: (212)

Level:        Warning

Description:

The driver \Driver\pfc failed to load for the device IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GH24LS50…

Like I have indicated above, I have run out of places to look for a solution.  I am becoming a little brain dead. Right now, these are the ONLY these two errors that come up in Event Viewer.  I won’t be using the DVD’s Burning and LightScribe functions; until I feel comfortable that all is well with the thing. 

The warning says that the device drivers aren’t loaded for the DVD, but the ones I installed are enabled and working. I see the drive in Explorer and I have installed from it to see if it reads ok. 

I am currently awaiting a response from PADIUS (the manufacturer of the PFC.SYS file) for a x64 update or a solution to this apparently “incompatible”device. (it shouldn’t be!)  I notice that this issue comes up clear back as far as 2005, in different installed programs and Device Drivers(all seemingly related to the CD/DVD in some way). I also did the DEP thing for this file, with no success. I turned off the DEP for this file because I saw an article (http://extended64.com/forums/t/1126.aspx RE: LCARS post) that offered it as a solution.  I really hoped that that was all there was to it.

Thank you for any direction or help you can offer. I will really, REALLY, appreciate it.

░░▒▒▓▓█│BarJabba│█▓▓▒▒░░[/n]My System build: http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1216387.png NOTE: XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 1 GB; 3 Way SLi Ready

Answer

A:

I would suggest to uninstall the third party software that relates to the drive that you mentioned in you original post (iTunes, etc.)

Then follow the steps for Windows Vista, which also work for Windows 7, in the following MS KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

These steps, to remove the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values at that registry key should clean up any "corruption" which may exist.

Create a System Restore Point beforehand and restart the computer afterward.

You can reinstall the uninstalled software afterward.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 13,064 Last updated: March 13, 2018 Applies to: