Error "There is no disc in the CD or DVD burner" when trying to burn discs (images)

Original Title: Problem burning CD's....."no disc in drive" msg

I selected about 40 pictures from a Gallery folder to burn to disc. I get a window that opens and says "Files waiting to be burned to disc" followed by a list of the selected image files. I click 'burn to disc', and am prompted to put an empty disc into the CD-ROM drive. After I do, and after closing the drive door,  I get a 'checking disc' msg. in the window.  In a few seconds the drive door opens, and I see this message: " There is no disc in the CD or DVD burner".
"Please insert a writable disc into the D drive".
This drive PLAYS discs fine, and I had no problems burning when I used Vista,but after a HD crash, I upgraded to Win7 and this is my first attempt at making a disc. Is there some compatability issue here?. Device mgr. says the device is working . The driver is up to date. I've tried 10 different discs from 3 different manufacturers

Answer
Answer

Hi AUricle,

Try the following steps and check if the issue persists.

Step 1: Run the Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu‑ray Discs troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Open the Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs troubleshooter

Step 2: Although Device Manager says that the driver is up to date you may still log on to the manufacturer website to check if there are any updated drivers available. There may be firmware updates that are required.

Hope this helps!

Syed N – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2020 Views 8,603 Applies to: