error code 43 when USB not recognised

I have a Windows 7 pc, a laptop running XP and a USB flash drive that I would like to use to back up files. It works on the laptop, and it did work first of all on the pc. But now I get a message saying device not recognised due to malfunction of device. And in device manager I'm told that it's an error 43 code. I'd be grateful for any advice; also, should I try buying a new memory stick/flashdrive exclusively for the pc? I've tied uninstalling the device and restarting the computer, but to no avail.

thanks,
laurencewithau

Question Info

Last updated September 25, 2018 Views 682,233 Applies to:
Answer

Hello laurencewithau,

Error Code 43 is a Device Manager error that means the following:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

When you get this error with USB devices it’s because one of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner. This can be because of corruption in one of the loaded drivers and the driver cache just needs to be flushed. Unplugging the computer sometimes doesn’t resolve the problem because the battery still holds power. To fix this, unplug all of your USB devices, then turn off the PC and take out the battery (This is assuming that you’re on a laptop), let the PC set for about 5 minutes, then put the battery back in and restart the PC. Next, plug your USB devices back in one at a time and make sure that they work.

If this does not work or you’re on a desktop, follow the steps in this KB article

Error: “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive.

(Mainly methods 3, 4,and 5)

Thanks

L.D.

373 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
As I have mentioned periodically on this forum:  quite often, the problem arises because a USB connected device has not been properly ejected.  The problem can be rectified merely by plugging the device into a different computer, letting it load up and then properly ejecting it.  You can then take it back into the other computer and it will work.  This is a problem if you are limited to accessing only the one computer that is showing the error.

435 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.