Error "Adding the device failed resulting in an unkown error. 0x80004005" when adding Bluetooth headset

I'm having an issue re-pairing my Bluetooth headset with my laptop.  I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64.  I have repeated this behavior with 2 different headsets.  Here's the problem:

1.  I pair the headset with my laptop and everthing works fine
2.  I go into Bluetooth Devices and remove the headset device
3.  I then attempt to pair the headset to the laptop and receive the error

I have not been able to find anything online to help.  I have spoken to the manufacturer (Plantronics) and they were also unable to help.  Surely there's got to be a way to get it to pair again.  I'm desperate for help.  I really don't want to rebuild my machine just to get the headset to pair again.

Thanks in advance for an assistance.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2019 Views 84,418 Applies to:
Answer

Hi guys,

I couldn't pair either of my two headsets to my Windows 7 machine.  Here's what fixed it for me.  In Device Manager, under Bluetooth Radios, I opened the properties for my radio (Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth 2.1+EDR USB Device with First Connect).  Under the Advanced tab, I took the hyphen out of my radio's name.  The headsets paired immediately after that.  

This is a pretty serious bug considering the radio takes its name from the computer name, which is username-PC by default when you install Windows 7.

I hope this solves your problems.  

Note that in order to actually use the headset, you will probably have to update your Bluetooth drivers if you haven't done so already.  Go to http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

130 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.