Error 1603 Fatal Error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information.

I'm trying to install IOGEAR USB wireless adapter GUWA100U. I downloaded the latest driver from their website which is Windows Vista. I am running Win7 on a new computer. The error message is: 1603 Fatal Error during installation. Consult windows installer help (msi.chm) or MSDN for more information. This is a new wireless USB adapter so it should work on Win7. The IOGEAR website doesn't have a Win7 driver yet. How do I get this driver to adapt to Win7?

I made sure there wasn't another version install, I tried to reinstall and received the same response.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2018 Views 33,518 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

·        Are you logged in as an administrator?

·        On which location is the program trying to install to?

Error 1603 occurs if any one of the following conditions is true:

·        The folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is encrypted.

·        The drive that contains the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.

Method 1:

You may run the setup file for the driver as Administrator and check if that helps.

a)      Browse to the location of the setup file

b)      Right click on the file and select ‘Run as Administrator’

Method 2:

You may also try installing the driver in compatibility mode and check if that helps. Follow the link given below for more information.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

83 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.