Error 0x80071AC3: Volume is Dirty

hi, i have posed the question to win 7 forum but never got reply

so i am getting Error 0x80071AC3: Volume is Dirty message. i have tried below cmd prompt but the volume is exfat not ntfs

can you please come up with the solution quickly

Could be the Dirty Bit.

Sometimes when a drive is disconnected without safely removing a file becomes corrupted and Windows flags the drive as "unreliable" (so to speak) by setting a single hex value for the drive as "dirty". Thus "the dirty bit".

To check if this is so, open an elevated Command Prompt and then type "
fsutil dirty query m: " (with m being the drive letter for the external drive. This will tell you if the drive is marked dirty.

If it is, then do this: open the Command Prompt and type: " CHKNTFS /X m:
" . This will tell Windows NOT to check the drive on the next restart. Then manually restart the computer (keep the external connected).

You should get into Windows without an messages about the drive.

Once in Windows, now run chkdsk on the drive. At the Command Prompt type: "
Chkdsk /f /r m: " . Chkdsk should go through all 5 stages of it's test.

When it's done then check the disk by running "
fsutil dirty query m: " again. If all went well the Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Sometimes chkdsk can not reset the bit. In than case you can go nuclear and copy all the files off the drive and then format it (that will definitely reset the bit).

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Hi Damjan,

"Error 0x80071AC3: Volume is Dirty" can occur when your operating system is unable to access files and other information due to bad sectors on the hard disk or external hardware.

To help you resolve your concern, kindly follow the troubleshooting steps on this post. It's related to your concern.

Should you need further assistance, please let us know.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 12,216 Applies to: