Error 0x80042412 when restoring from a system image backup

I am trying to help my elderly mother with a computer problem. She has a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. The hard drive is failing and Toshiba confirmed that it needs to be replaced.

I purchased a new hard drive at a local retailer and installed the new drive, after creating a "system repair disk" and a "system image backup". I am trying to restore her system, software, and data to the new hard drive using a "system image restore". Everything seems to have gone well so far, but now that I am trying to restore the image, I get an error message (0x80042412).

I have checked many sites and forums for this message, but I have yet to determine why it will not restore the image. One thing that I came across is a statement that the new hard drive must be the same size, or larger than the original hard drive, because I could not find another 640gb drive, only a 500gb replacement. Can anyone help me with this? Please?

Hi Mike in Phoenix,

Check the suggestions provided in this post to fix the issue.  

Windows server 2008 R2 BMR 0x80042412

Note:​ The suggestion given in the post is applicable to Windows 7 as well irrespective of the title.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga.  254 GB SSD drive was failing so did a win8.1 system image backup onto external drive (60GB image done pretty quick).  Lenovo tech replace same size SSD hard drive.  Got a copy of Windows 8.1 DVD and external DVD drive.  boot to DVD and

1. select "repair your computer option"

2. Troubleshoot

3. advance options

4. System Image Recovery

5. Chose "Windows 8.1" for target operating system (only selection)

6. finds system image on external drive

7 next screen show additional restore options keep default and click Next

got error message: No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found.... error code 0x80042412

spent 5 hours troubleshooting error, MS forums, Mr Google.  fooled around with bios uefi settings, diskpart commands. Also use diskpart to format the drive and tried to restore disk image without success.  Thought my system image backup was corrupt, thinking I probably have to reinstall from scratch and restore data manually from failing drive. (which the tech already took back with him)

found one link that solve many users exact error

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/no-disk-that-can-be-used-for-recovering-the-system/e855ee43-186d-4200-a032-23d214d3d524?page=1&tm=1410330387893

tried the fix from below.

I finally just got it working.  Trying to go from a 500gb drive to another 500gb drive and getting the same error.  I went into Diskpart and type "select disk=0".  Then I type "detail disk" to make sure I had the right drive.  I typed "Clean", and then "exit" to get out of Diskpart.  And then I started the image recovery and finally it works.  Before I did these commands I had formatted the drive to one large partition, set the partition to active, and made sure it had a drive letter assigned.   

this did not fix the problem still got same error message.  almost 1AM and about to give up...

decided to Boot to DVD again and start a fresh install of Win 8.1

came to part where it asks you to format hard disk.  I deleted all partitions and create one whole partitions, windows create 3 additional partitions for recovery, system and etc.  the 4th partition had the biggest size. 238 GB.  so I formatted this partition.  click next to start Win 8.1 install but cancelled it right away. (could of restarted the computer after the formatting was done)  All I wanted to do was format the drive.

Sames step as earlier...

boot to DVD and

2. Troubleshoot

3. advance options

4. System Image Recovery

5. Chose "Windows 8.1" for target operating system (only selection)

6. finds system image on external drive

7 next screen show additional restore options keep default and click Next

VOILAA!!  system  image ran through completely (didn't time it but went pretty quick)

System restored!

formatting the hard drive during the Fresh Windows installed made it work!!?.  not sure why but it did.

=)  sleeping happy tonight.  returning laptop to client first thing in the morning.

hope this post saves someone 5hrs.

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I signed up just to tell you that I have been messing with getting Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 System Image Backup to work the last few days, reading and trying all kinds of things. Sometimes it would work on some system, but my laptop I couldn't get it to go and your method worked, why I am not sure as I tried about everything else it seemed.

I went into disk part and selected my HDD and "cleaned" it then went to install Windows 10(Preview) and when I get to the screen to select the drive to install Windows on I selected my HDD and clicked format(Windows auto created 2 partitions) and then install to the larger one. But as soon as it starts to install click the X in the upper right corner to cancel.

Then rebooted from the Windows 10 USB and as you did.......

2. Troubleshoot

3. advance options

4. System Image Recovery

I had mine on a USB which I had plugged in and it found it as it had been before but this time it actually started and finished with an error :)

Sorry this didn't help.

i had the same problem I have a 60GB SSD and a 1tb HDD. What happened is when I made the image the SSD was labled C:/ obviously but here is the thing I also backed up the HDD in my image also so when I tried to restore it using the image it was looking for the HDD as F:/ but I had the HDD as D:/

So to fix this I did a fresh install of the OS when it was done installing the OS I opened disk manager and removed the drive letter that the system automatically assigned my card reader F:/ and put F back on my HDD retried the image and boom it worked but it still gave me some parameter error but I ignored it booted the computer back up and seems to be working. And just to assure myself I booted the os disc and used it to delete all partions on the ssd and hdd then exited the os install and chose repair instead and repeated the system image restore and this time around no errors so this worked for me. hope this helps anyone else that may have goofed like me

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2020 Views 24,820 Applies to: