erratic mouse pointer sticking and then freezing

For the past few weeks my mouse is sticking and then freezing up and I have to shut the computer down and restart again.  Then over and over again, it sticks and I have to restart again.  I have done a system restore, I have no known problems listed with my USB optical mouse or with windows 7.

I have been visiting forums and I can't find answers to this problem.  I tried fixes in case the sleep mode was affecting this - nothing changed.  I tried updating drivers - nothing change.

Anybody know where I should go next?  I believe the problem is a software or update related one and not a USB or mouse problem.

Thanks

1/7/11

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond.  It is greatly appreciated and was so helpful.  I ended up just buying a wireless mouse and a new pad and so far this has been working.

Because I have new problems all the time now, I believe somone has hacked this computer because it's behavior isn't consistent.  I haven't been able to get on the internet for awhile now.  I did have my computer fixed a few months ago after it was hacked and maybe he's back again. 

My msn front page will change and the language says "latino" (which I am not) and then I have problems with this computer.  He or she has to have something to do with this.  Oh well, everything's been backed up and It's such a pain trying everything to fix these nuisances.  This week - buying the best virsus protection I can buy.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and thanks so much.

Answer
Answer

Hi help,

I suggest removing all the external devices/peripherals from the computer, besides the mouse, keyboard, and monitor to see if the issue resolves.

I further suggest disabling your security software temporarily.

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2021 Views 12,429 Applies to: