DVD/CD not working - tried to install hotfix...won't run...TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device The drivers for this device are not installed.

Hi Everyone,
I'm at my wits end!!! I cannot use my dvd /cd drive - it is shown  in the BIOS - power is on - and it simply stopped working after a Windows 7 update (i'm running professional on a 32 bit system.  Apparently, it shouldn't need device drivers as Windows should see it.  I've checked the compatability list and it is registered as ok.

I have tried the hotfix - which won't run on the machine once downloaded.  I have tried changing the registry - but there are no up or down filters registered - and I have tried the change the powerconfig.exe files.

I am now truly stumped!!  I'm not overly computer techie..so...any advice would be really gratefully received.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2019 Views 8,973 Applies to:

Hi,

• Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter
  • In device manager expand DVD/CD-ROM drives
  • Right click your device and click Uninstall
  • Reboot the PC to let Windows redetect the hardware

Has the problem gone away?

It may be possible to make Windows believe that the drive has only just been fitted and install it correctly, but, this will involve some dismantling of your PC, disconnection and reconnection of cables and maybe also swapping of jumpers. So if you are not comfortable with this, which it sounds like you will not be, I can only offer the suggestion of taking the PC to a repair shop, preferably one that you can get a recommendation for. Ask what the price to fit a new optical drive would be and do not accept a fee for fixing that would come to more than a brand new fitted unit!

Maybe someone else will come along with another suggestion that does not involve dismantling or a repair shop. You could wait to see before posting back or going to a repair shop.

Tricky

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Also, does the drive show up if you restart the computer in Safe Mode?

Sorry this didn't help.

If this happened recently you could try a system restore back to a time before the problem occurred...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tricky,
I've tried the reinstal - I'm happy to try the jumper option as I"ve disconnected and reconnected the power cables already any chance you could give me some idea as to what to do - to achieve the change in the jumpers?  I've tried the system restore - this is a recognised problem as found on the knowledge base for windows 7 - but there hotfix doesn't seem to work.
Zanna67

Sorry this didn't help.

No the drive isn't there in safe mode auggy only in the BIOS.  The reading I've done suggests it might be something to do with power supply - in that it is put into sleep mode by Windows 7 - but I cannot find out how to change this situation.  I was actually thinking of putting on XP - but can't whilst the DVD is out of action.
Zanna67

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

First of all, I would be inclined to wait for a response from auggy. It is not clear to me where he might be going with his question about safe mode, but it may be that he will suggest a non-invasive and therefore safer approach.

I am assuming that this is a desktop PC as your model appears to be a full height 5.25" unit. The manual for it can be downloaded here http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SH-222AB/BEBE. Please download it and check that this is your unit. What follows is going to assume that it is. If it isn't please post back before taking any further action.

First a disclaimer. Disassembling electrical appliances runs the risk of shock which might possibly be fatal. I cannot possibly see what you are doing and check that you are doing it correctly or safely. If you choose to proceed it is entirely at your own risk. I cannot be held responsible for damage caused to your PC or, more importantly, to you. This applies even if there are inadvertent errors or omissions in the procedures that I would follow as outlined below. If you are not willing to accept this risk then please do not proceed. Instead, take the unit to a PC repair shop as previously advised, this procedure should only cost at the most £10 in the UK.

You may find this link helpful...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/67882-sata-dvd-cd-drive-how-install.html

...particularly the pictures of SATA data lead connections shown for steps 4 and 7.

This is what I would do if it were my PC:-

• Uninstall the unit via device manager as described above and then shut down the PC.
  • Attach an antistatic wrist strap if possible or at least ground myself before disassembling the PC (for example, here in the UK most central heating plumbing pipes are earthed).
  • Disconnect the power lead, wait half a minute and remove all other external cables (keyboard/mouse/screen/printer etc.) making a note of which cable goes in which socket.
  • Place the PC on a suitable work surface and remove the side/cover from the PC to gain access to the interior. Refer to the picture in the manual and trace the lead that goes into socket 2 (S-ATA data port) back to the other end where it should be inserted into the SATA controller of the PC, most probably the mainboard itself.
  • Somewhere near the mainboard/controller end there would hopefully be at least one spare socket that is identical to the socket currently in use. These sockets could be labelled SATA0, SATA1, SATA2, SATA3, SATA4 etc.
  • If there are no free SATA sockets I would think again before doing anything else.
  • Move the cable from its current SATA socket to one that is not in use. When trying to disconnect from the current SATA socket, knowing that many SATA leads have a retaining mechanism, I would not just pull the lead but also squeeze the plug between thumb and index finger along the two longest sides to release the retaining mechanism to allow the cable to be pulled out. All the time being very careful not to disturb other internal cables and connectors.
  • Make sure that the SATA lead is properly connected to its new socket by visual comparison with other SATA leads that are connected.
  • Visually check to make sure that no other internal cables or connectors have been accidentally disturbed.
  • Replace the PC's side/cover.
  • Reconnect the mains, keyboard, mouse and screen only.
  • Power on the PC and let Windows detect its 'new' hardware.
  • If the PC powers up OK, reconnect all other peripheral devices.

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you open the Device Manager and right-click the drive > Properties > General

Under "Device status" what information is there? 

Then click on the "Driver" tab > Driver Details 

What is listed under "Driver files"?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Auggy, the device isn't shown in the device manager - it only shows up in the BIOS.  Its also not shown in safe mode.
Suz

Sorry this didn't help.

What update coincided with the drive not working?

Also, have you considered using System Restore?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tricky,
I've tried the reinstal

But presumably it was visible in device manager when you tried the uninstall?

I am starting to suspect hardware failure, purely coincidental with updates. Wait for auggy's reply...

Tricky

Sorry this didn't help.