Question

Q: DVD burning problem in Windows 7 x64 I can start the burning, the progress bar runs for some time, then disappears This thread is locked from future replies

Original Title: DVD burning problem in Windows 7 x64

Hello.

I have a problem burning DVDs with my Windows 7 Home Premium x64 retail edition.

In "managed" DVD mode, I can start the burning, the progress bar runs for some time, then disappears. Afterwards, I cannot read the disk contents or remove it from the drive during a couple of hours. After that in "computer" window I can see on the DVD drive something like "4.0 GB free out of 4.7 GB", but can't read or write anything to that drive.

In "active" mode, when I copy a large file to the DVD, the copying starts, then hangs at some time and only the "remaining" counter increases.

I tried burning one ISO image and it burned and verified properly.

I replaced the DVD burner with a brand new one and the issue persists.

I replaced the hard drive with a different one, installed fresh Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and it burned the disc fine. Hence it seems something is wrong in my OS installation.

The question is - what and how can I fix it?

Answer

A:

Hi Kocureq,

Let’s try these steps & check if it helps.

Method 1
Run the built-in troubleshooter to repair the problems with CD or DVD.

• Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel.
  •  In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Click on Hardware and Sound.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • You will get a list of devices, click on Playing and burning CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs. It will automatically diagnose and fix a problem.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Method 2

Additionally, if you have any third party CD/DVD burning software installed, uninstall them temporarily and check if you are able to burn DVD.

Refer:

Disc-burning tips for Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disc-burning-tips-for-Windows-7

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 6,699 Last updated: April 14, 2018 Applies to: