DVD burning problem in Windows 7 x64 I can start the burning, the progress bar runs for some time, then disappears

Original Title: DVD burning problem in Windows 7 x64

Hello.

I have a problem burning DVDs with my Windows 7 Home Premium x64 retail edition.

In "managed" DVD mode, I can start the burning, the progress bar runs for some time, then disappears. Afterwards, I cannot read the disk contents or remove it from the drive during a couple of hours. After that in "computer" window I can see on the DVD drive something like "4.0 GB free out of 4.7 GB", but can't read or write anything to that drive.

In "active" mode, when I copy a large file to the DVD, the copying starts, then hangs at some time and only the "remaining" counter increases.

I tried burning one ISO image and it burned and verified properly.

I replaced the DVD burner with a brand new one and the issue persists.

I replaced the hard drive with a different one, installed fresh Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and it burned the disc fine. Hence it seems something is wrong in my OS installation.

The question is - what and how can I fix it?

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2018 Views 6,827 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Kocureq,

Let’s try these steps & check if it helps.

Method 1
Run the built-in troubleshooter to repair the problems with CD or DVD.

• Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel.
  •  In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Click on Hardware and Sound.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • You will get a list of devices, click on Playing and burning CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs. It will automatically diagnose and fix a problem.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Method 2

Additionally, if you have any third party CD/DVD burning software installed, uninstall them temporarily and check if you are able to burn DVD.

Refer:

Disc-burning tips for Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disc-burning-tips-for-Windows-7

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.