Does Windows 7 Home Premium Edition support Software RAID-1 ?

If the answer is YES it’s only in System disk or in any disk
Thanks
Ignacio

Hi jiduarte,

Yes, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition support Software RAID-1 provided you install the driver during the installation phase.

It is supported both on System Drive and Non System Drive.

During Windows 7 installation phase, there is an option to allow you to "Load Driver", you should first download the RAID driver and put it in a USB thumb drive or CD-ROM or floppy disk which allows Windows 7 to "load" it before the installation. I hope the above information helps you.

I hope the above information helps you.

Regards,

Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks,
But I think you are talking about Hardware Raid, because you are talking about load a driver during installation process.
My question is about Software Raid, I know that Windows 7 Enterprise support Software Raid. My question is, if Windows 7 Home premium support Software Raid too

Thanks
regards
Ignacio

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,
yes, software RAID (Mirror) does not works for me on both Windows 7 Basic and Windows 7 Enterprize. When I install second HDD and connect it to SATA socket (of course when PC is powered off), in Disk Manager, there is an option of 'Add Mirror'. Both HDD's are of Dynamic type. After I create mirror, the two partitions on two disks are shown as 'Failed Redundancy'. I've tried with system partition and with separated simple volume. RAID-1 won't synchronize. The message in Event Viewer - System is: "Disk is not accessible - orphaned" (or sounds like).
I have Hewlett-Packard dx5150 mini-tower PC with AMD CPU, latest BIOS and latest storage drivers.
Please help!
Sergey

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Short answer: only with the use of 3rd-party software/hardware.

And if what you really meant was, "does Windows 7 Home Premium edition have Software RAID1", then the answer is simply no.

I've just run into this problem myself, upgrading machines for my family. I don't understand why Microsoft decided that Home users didn't deserve that capability, but... yeah.

Your options are: pray they release an update/service pack that enables it; upgrade to Professional or higher; switch to another OS that does have it; use a hybrid or hardware solution provided by motherboard or RAID card.

As I'd already bought (and opened) the windows family pack, and Australian stores are a PITA when it comes to returning opened software, I went with motherboard RAID1. None of my family need any of Pro's other features, and the pain of installing the motherboard RAID was far, far less than the pain to my wallet of 3 Pro upgrades. Your mileage may vary.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This confirms my suspicions, thanks.

One important note about hardware RAID :  There's a little note in my ASUS mother board docs that states 'Windows 7 will not install in any array larger than 2 TB'  - and wouldn't you know my didsk just exceeded that limit.  If you try to install, even after loading the ASUS drivers, Windows gives you an error and denies the install.

I thought I would be clever, and buy a couple fo 500G drives and make an array just for the C drive, but apparently, the other 2TB array still counts against me.

It may be possible to trick the installation by disconnecting the larger data drives, installing into the 500GB, and then adding the 2TB later,  However, I'm far enough down my installation, I don't want to do that again.  I had counted on the software RAID being available, but I guess I lost that bet.

Amrynel, are you certain that RAID is availble in Professionsal ?  I will upgrade if someone can promise me its in there.  I just haven't seen it in Microsoft's marketing material.

I just want some link to some page that swears it's in Professional.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the answer is YES it’s only in System disk or in any disk
Thanks
Ignacio

See the other replies you've gotten, and let me add the following:

RAID 1 (mirroring) is *not* a backup solution. RAID 1 uses two or  more drives, each a duplicate of the others, to provide redundancy, not backup. It's used in situations (almost always within corporations, not in homes) where any downtown can't be tolerated, because the way it works is that if one drive fails the other takes over seamlessly. Although some people thing of RAID 1 as a backup technique, that is *not* what it is, since it's subject to simultaneous loss of the original and the mirror to many of the most common dangers threatening your data--severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, theft of the computer, etc. Most companies that use RAID 1 also have a strong external backup plan in place.

"Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea" http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2020 Views 21,602 Applies to: