Question

Q: Documents stuck in print queue with "Error - Printing" This thread is locked from future replies

This is a new laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and I have installed drivers for my HP Laserjet CP1215, completely by-the-book and also exhausted HPs support. This printer is supposedly fully supported by W7 64 bit.

Whenever I try and print a document, from WordPad, Adobe Reader, Word, whatever, it just appears in the print queue with the Status as "Error - Printing".

If I run the HP diagnostics utility, it can print test pages, no problem. So the USB connection and actual printer are fine. They also work fine with other PCs.

I've checked the print spooler is up and running in "Services". If I stop and then re-start the print spooler, the document prints!
Any help greatly appreciated, I'm running out of options here!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi parrotx34,

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below and check if it helps to fix the issue.

Method 1:  Clear Printer Spooler files and enable the Spooler service.

a)    Click Start, type “services.msc” (without quotes) in the search box and press Enter.

b)    Double-click “Printer Spooler” in the Services list.

c)    Click Stop and click OK.

d)   Click Start, type  %WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers in the search box and press Enter. In the open window, and delete all files in this folder.

e)    Now, go to “Services” again. Double-click “Printer Spooler."

f)     On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.

g)    If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.

For reference visit the links:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-printer-problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/printer-problems-in-windows

Regards,

Sandeep

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

127 people were helped by this reply

Thanks Sandeep.

I tried that: but it didn't help, and there weren't any files in the spool/printers directory.

I have however discovered that if I start an application (e.g. wordpad) as Administrator, then I can print OK.

Does that help you find a solution?

regards

Sorry this didn't help.

11 people were helped by this reply

Hi parrotx34,

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below and check if it helps to resolve the issue:

1.   Uninstall the printer and the drivers.

2.   Disconnect the printer from the computer and reboot the computer.

3.    After rebooting try installing the printer again, while installation it will ask you to connect the printer so reconnect it and complete the installation process.

4.   Then try printing the test page and check if you can print from any application.

5.   Check if print spooler is working fine. To check the print spooler follow the steps:

a)   Click Start -> type Services.msc in the search box -> press Enter.

b)   Services window will appear look for the “Print Spooler” service in the service list.

c)   Ensure that the service is set to automatic for startup type and started for status.

Note:  The printing option should always be spooling to print not directly to printer.

For reference visit the link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-printer

Regards,

Sandeep

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

Hi Sandeep,

I'm afraid I've been through all those steps (several times now!), I think we are looking at a more intractable problem.

Note that the documents will actually print - I just have to either run the program with the document to print "as administrator" or restart the print spooler.

regards

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

If you boot the PC into Safe Mode, does the problem still occur?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Safe Mode, I don't seem to have any printers at all? (It's a USB printer)

Sorry this didn't help.

Odd, nothing shown under Devices & Printers?

Or if you fire up msconfig, disable all startups, reboot and accept the advice msg, then use the printer?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

I just checked and I can also use the undesirable workaround that the user saw in this thread: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-SG/w7hardware/thread/f29fa8b0-54a4-482a-8f1d-e9a041412683

I.e. setting User Account Control to "Never Notify".

(That thread seems to be tagged as answered, but there is no fix actually specified?)

So that's 3 hacks that work: never notify, restart print spooler on each job, and run programs as administrator.

Must be getting close ?!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi parrotx34,

Since the printer works when ran as an administrator, create a test user account as an administrator and see if the issue follows when you try to print or if you have more than one administrator account on the computer perform a test print in that account.

Dena
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Dena

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Palcouk,

sorry, didn't see you had replied - looks like our last posts crossed. No, all the printers were gone in Safe Mode. I'll try the msconfig investigation.

Did you see my comment about "Never Notify" ?

Dana: no, I am generally logged in as an administrator, but neither my, nor another Administrator account can print unless the application is started with "Run as administrator".

thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 92,838 Last updated: April 21, 2018 Applies to: