Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver". Cant play videos.

Original Title: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.  My system is a dual boot O/S.  The PC orginally was an XP Pro, I recently added a second Hard drive and installed Windows 7 on that second harddrive.  The orginal XP Pro is still working and DOES play video files with out problems.  However, the Win 7 OS will NOT platy the video files (screener, YouTube videos, AVI, WMF's, or even if a video file is embedded in a Web page I get the error message - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2019 Views 94,322 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi John_Madsen,

·        Did you update the computer with the latest drivers?

It seems that nVidia drivers are corrupt. You may have to uninstall the current drivers and install the latest ones. Try the following steps and check if they help.

Step 1: From Device Manager.

a.       Click Start and type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and press Enter.

b.      Find Display Adapters and expand it. Right click on the adapter select Uninstall.

c.       Restart the computer. Windows should install the drivers required.

Step 2: You may also uninstall the drivers from Control Panel.

a.       Open Programs and Features by clicking theStart button, Control Panel, Programs and thenPrograms and Features.

b.      Find the drivers from the list and then clickUninstall.

Step 3: Log on to the manufacturer website and download the latest drivers for the model installed on your computer.

Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Step 4: If the videos still don’t play fine then check to see if you have thelatest Java and Adobe Flash updates installed. Visit the links below.
Download Java for Windows Internet Explorer

Adobe - Adobe Flash Player

Hope this helps!

Syed N – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, the re-loading of teh Nvidia drivers has not corrected the problem.  I have removed and loaded several different drivers wtih out success.  In total I have tried six different versions of the driver for this graphics board.  Nvidia has not been very helpful as well. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem and have not found a solution.  Dell diagnostics says there is nothing wrong with the video card.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had exactly this problem after downloading a Windows service pack and spent 20+ hours trying to sort it before submitting a question to the forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/nvidia-graphics-driver-issue-after-windows-updates/a3ddd7bc-0482-e011-9b4b-68b599b31bf5

I recieved the following advice (back in May 2011) which finally sorted the issue out: -

Use Driver cleaner Pro to get rid of the vestiges of 258.96

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/security/system_cleanup/driver_cleaner_pro.cfm

and then install the latest driver from the nVidia website..

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-270.61-whql-driver.html

After completely uninstalling NVIDIA (again) I ran the Driver Cleaner (which removed a further half dozen bits of INVIDIA still on the hard drive), then re-installed the latest driver direct from INVIDIA onto my now clean hard drive.

It would appear the problem stems from the uninstall before update not completely removing all vestiges of the old driver from your hard drive. Download the Driver cleaner pro then follow the instructions (particularly about disconnecting from the internet when it says so - otherwise your PC automatically downloads the same problem again). It's not particularly straightforward for the uniniated (being a product of the factory fodder education system in the 1960s & 70s I was at the edge of my abilities!) but it does work.

Best of luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been plagued with this same driver error for a couple of weeks now. I'm running Win7 64 bit and an NVidia N460GTX.

I was going to run the Driver Cleaner Pro in your link but it's dated 2006 and doesn't say it's compatible with Win7 so I decided against it. Instead I just went into Device Manager and removed the graphic card. Obviously that's a bit scary because everything suddenly reverts to basic screen resolution and the desktop becomes massive!

Ignoring that, I simply rebooted the PC and Win 7 installed the up to date drivers on restart, although a further reboot was required.

Most importantly I then entered "258.96", the driver number in my error message, into the search bar above the Start button and it found the old 32bit NVidia driver, which I then deleted manually.

I only did this today, and the driver error hasn't happened in the 4 hours since I did it, but that's not unusual as it only happened 3 or 4 times a day.

I'll report back if the error recurrs . . .

Sorry this didn't help.

After having a day without this error it returned today, twice. Back to the drawing board, nice product Microsoft . . .

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Virtually 1 year after I initially had this problem and managed to finally resolve it using a driver cleaner, the exact same problem has resurfaced - my display/machine freezing up - at best after a few minutes use, accompanied by "Nvidia Kernel Mode Driver has stopped responding but has recovered" error messages along the way. Again this followed an update to my Nvidia driver contained in a routine Windows Update from Microsoft. Given all the effort I previously expended I consider myself a bit of an expert at troubleshooting this problem now.

However, despite my prior knowledge, the download of more up to date driver cleaners, and trying many other possible solutions suggested on the net (literally for days) - uninstalling,reinstalling, trying older versions of the software, installing purely the Nvidia graphics driver (not the other software that installs with it), changing BIOS/timer settings, etc I've been unable to resolve this issue.

My final solution? - disconnected from the net, uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, deleted all Nvidia files I could find on my machine, then used Phyxion Driver Sweeper to clean off any last vestiges of Nvidia. (This left my machine display running on the very basic VGA driver on the motherboard).

Shutting down and unplugging power, I then opened up my machine (Packard Bell ixtreme X6620), physically removed the Nvidia GT220 graphics card, went to PC World (sorry but this was an emergency), bought a basic AMD/Radeon ASUS EAH5450 HD graphics card, plugged it into my machine, fastened everything up, installed the software, and hey-presto everything's wonderful again, no problems to report after several days.

I don't do gaming so didn't buy an expensive graphics card, and this lower spec card is less demanding on my machine's PSU etc., so don't know if the lower demands of my new card is the reason for clearing the problem. But I do strongly suspect it's a problem with the Nvidia software (or card itself). The utter silence from Nvidia on the issue only serves to reinforce this suspicion.

Sorry this didn't help.

I turned off the driver updates in Win7 Update, and haven't had this problem since. I've had issues with both graphics and sound drivers since installing Win7 so once I got it working error free I stopped the drivers updating.

I have an Nvidia N460GTX but have seen in various forums that Radeon cards are equally susceptible to this error.

Best of luck with your new card, hopefully you'll be okay from now on, or at least I hope so.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this issue, the answer is actually on microsofts site.

Problem: a thing called TDR checker monitors the computers hardware, particularly the GPU, is say the GPU stops responding with the computer for 2 seconds TDR checker restarts the driver. The TDR checker was good on paper but did not work in the real world. as a gpu can stop responding when it is working hard.

Issue since the time of vista, thats why this problem virually never happened on XP

Here is the solution
Exit all Windows based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002 (sometimes called ControlSet001) \Control\GraphicsDrivers

On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows
Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows 

Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.

Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

This puts a delay on the tdr checker of 8 seconds thus the gpu can stop responding for 10 seconds, usually this fixes the problem, if you are still suffering from this issue (after updates or a reinstall of drivers, you know all that annoying driver stuff)
Then do this, do the same thing but instead of "TdrDelay" type "TdrLevel" enter the data value as 0 (it is set to that natively, but double check) then delete the TdrDelay, 

Restart 

That completely turns off Tdr checker, so now windows 7/vista/8 now works more like windows XP

Share the info XD

63 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I had a similar problem, (which I posted in the Windows 8 section); bought a brand new HP desktop last month, with Windows 8 – cost me a thousand dollars and is less than a month old! It has NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 pre-installed.

Anyway only a few days ago, when I tried using Windows Live Photo Gallery for the first time, while making adjustments to a photo (contrast etc.) the computer suddenly FROZE (I had a song playing as well - it stopped), then the screen went all BLACK, & stayed that way for close to FIVE MINUTES. Then suddenly it's back to normal... it happened numerous times again after that – eventually the computer started RESTARTING ITSELF!

And THEN it started switching between restarting itself, and freezing for about 20 seconds, then a pop-up appeared saying: "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered" – only happened whenever I attempt to adjust a photo in Windows Live Photo Gallery. Someone suggested I uninstall, then re-install the driver – did that. Same sh!+.

I just tried the fix you suggested above, and have tried Photo Gallery again. It still freezes, BUT this time (after it recovers a few secs later), I receive THIS pop-up: "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." And all is normal after that. The screen doesn’t go BLACK for 5 minutes, the computer doesn't restart itself etc., brilliant! You're a genius.

Do you think that popup means anything?: "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." If not, the problem appears to be solved.

Sorry this didn't help.