Question

Q: Disk check error: "The type of the file systyem is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected." This thread is locked from future replies

Original Title: A problem with hard disk

Hi,

I have a note book with Windows 7. The company is "RoverBook", and the model is P435.
A few week ago the notebook started to do problems.
The windows didn't work well. It was very slowly.
Then i had a problem that the windows didn't rise up.
So, i decided to format my computer.
Therefore yesterday i have formated it and it worked fine.
Today i open my comptuer and i get an error that was like that : "Windows Start Error 0xc00000e9".
I have seraced here for a solution, and someone said that i need to run my computer in safe mode and open a Command Promt and write there
"chkdsk /r".
So i did it, but the safe mode didn't rise well. Instead i got a window "System Recovery Option".
Luckily, i had there an option for  Command Promt. So i wrote there "chkdsk /r".
And then it was written:
"The type of the file systyem is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

What do i need to do??

Answer

A:

Hi Ananas,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community to post your question.

Let’s try the following suggestion and check if it helps.

Method 1: In the command prompt run the following and check if it works.

chkdsk C: /f /r /x

If the above method does not work, go to next method.

Method 2: I would suggest you to run the command by using Windows 7 disc.
a.

Insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, or a system repair disc, and then shut down your computer.

b.     Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

c.     When prompted, press any key, and then follow the instructions that appear.

d.     On the Install Windows page, or on the System Recovery Options page, choose your language and other preferences, and then click next.

If neither the Install Windows page nor the System Recovery Options page appears, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

e.     On the System Recovery Options menu, click Command prompt.
Run the following command.
chkdsk C: /f /r /x 

Also refer to this link: What are the system recovery options in Windows 7? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

If you have any further queries, or if this issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

103 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 60,724 Last updated: April 21, 2018 Applies to: