Question

Q: creative live webcam not working

I have windows 7 64 bit.

I am using a Creative live! socialize webcamera VF0640. It was being detected as a creative webcam correctly until a few weeks ago, where i noticed it is now showing as a vimicro usb 2.0 PC Camera. It has stopped working with skype and i can just see a black screen. Also does not work with msn. 

I have tried installing the drivers from http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=218&subCatID=218&prodID=19105&prodName=Live!+Cam+Socialize&subCatName=Web+Cameras&CatName=Web+Cameras&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_19105,VARSET=CategoryID:218

The driver never installs as whenever i plug in the camera to finish off the driver install, windows update automatically installs the camera driver and shows it as Vimicro. I have tried the various options of going into gpedit.msc and setting the option in devices to never install drivers etc, but none of them work and windows always installs the drivers as soon as i plug the usb camera in.

Any help with this for me to get it working?

Thanks

Hi,

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely try and help you in fixing the issue.

First you may uninstall the drivers completely and then configure Windows to install only those updates which are allowed by you.

You may then install the driver in administrative mode and check if it helps.

a)      Insert the installation CD/DVD

b)      Do not autorun, right click to open the CD

c)       Browse to the setup.exe

d)      Right click on setup and click on run as administrator

Hope this helps and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I have followed the steps but it still does not work.

I uninstalled the driver for the camera that windows installed, then i ran the drivers set up file as Administrator. The setup started, and i had the camera plugged in and it came to installing the drivers. At this point the setup program asked me to plug in my camera, but simultaneously windows installed the vimicro driver for it. The drivers program never picked up the fact that i plugged in the camera as windows was showing it as a Vimicro and so the drivers setup could not finish as it was expecting a Creative device.

Is there anything else that i can try to get this to work? It was working fine before, but now i cannot understand why the camera has stopped being picked up as a Creative Live! camera.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You may try running the FIXIT from the article. You may also try the other steps from the same article.

If the issue persists you may perform system restore to the date when the computer was working fine and check.

Note: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

Hope this helps and do let us know if you need further assistance.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I tried the FIXIT but it did not work unfortunately, and neither did any of the other links.

I cannot restore back as i never had a restore point set up. This is a brand new install.

To give the full picture, i had windows 7 installed where the camera worked perfectly and was detected as a Creative Live! one. I thne installed windows 8. On Windows 8 detected it as a Vimicro, so i went back to Windows 7. 

Windows 7 then also detected it as a Vimicro. 

There must be other people who have encountered this problem, and there must be a way of making windows not install its drivers and detect it correctly.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 

I have the same problem too, please tell me if you figured it out and how

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

I never solved it. Got another camera!

Sorry this didn't help.

Was it a Microsoft camera? That's the only kind I find that works.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try to plug it into a 2.0 usb because I had it in the 3.0 port and it said that it works for only 2.0 only

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,773 Last updated: April 24, 2018 Applies to: