code 19 configuration information in the registy incomplete or damaged

i just upgraded to windows 7 the other day and today i looked in my computer and i didnt see my dvdrom and now i cant use it. it says windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registy) is incomplete or damaged (code 19) i tried to scan and fix it but nothing seems to work. any help please

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2018 Views 3,352 Applies to:
Answer
When you say that you tried to scan and fix it what did you do?  

You may want to perform the steps below and see if it resolves the issue –

1. Click Start, and then click All Programs.

2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.

3. Type regedit, and then click OK.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

1. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note you may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.

2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

3. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

4. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note if you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further.

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

7. Exit Registry Editor.

8. Restart the computer.

For further assistance on above steps refer to the below article. It applies to Windows Vista  BUT it also works  for windows 7 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

PLEASE help others by letting us know if something fixes your issue. Click Vote As Helpful on the left for those whom helped. If you are happy then please mark the thread closed when you’re done...

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.