Can't install printers on Windows 7. Access denied!

This is so frustrating, I bought a new HP laptop with Window7 64 bit, and installing anything is a challenge. I finally managed to get all my software installed, but I cannot install printers! I even logged in as the "hidden administrator" and couldn't do it. The two printers I've tried are an HP PSC 2500 series, and a Lexmark X6570. I downloaded the install packages for each.

The Lexmark software installed, but not the printer--but I didn't get an error. The HP install process stops and says "Access denied." I should note that I am connecting wirelessly to the printers and haven't tried (yet) to connect via USB cable. Maybe that would help...but the PC appears to be detecting the printers wirelessly.

TIA,

Jules

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2018 Views 46,871 Applies to:
Answer
Launch Add Network Printer from command line

printui /ip

Select TCP/IP printer  (or Search for network printers)

Enter the IP or hostname for the device

With the HP use Windows Update (I'm pretty sure the driver was included in Vista).

For the Lexmark device, select the driver from the list of installed drivers.

If the port does not auto configure you will need to verify that the computer can ping te IP addresses of the printers.
Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Formerly with Windows print team

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.