Cannot format a DVD-RAM under Windows 7

Hello, I am having a bit of a problem with using DVD-RAM discs in Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. This is with a LF-D111A and using 5.2GB DVD-RAM discs in the caddy style. What happens is that the drive is recognized as a DVD-RAM drive in Windows 7, can read CD-ROMs (read info from, this is not a CD Burner), and read ALREADY WRITTEN DVD-RAM discs formatted in UDF 2.01. However, when attempting to write any information to a disc it will not add it. It claims a need to have a writable disc inserted into the drive and then promptly ejects the disc. So, OK, I'll attempt to format the disc under 7. "Windows was not able to complete the format" However, it will change the title of the disc even though it hasn't been formatted. Windows 7 also claims there is "0 bytes free of 2.32GB".

Windows Vista, on the same machine, does not have this problem. It works just fine. If I format a disc in Vista, and write information to it, I can read the information in Windows 7. I am dual booting two drives with Vista x64 Ultimate on one, and 7 x64 on the other. So it is NOT a hardware issue. I have checked the registry for the "Upper/Lower Filter" issues and performed them. I have attempted the "Mr. Fixit" for writable drives @ "http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us" It claims that the DVD-RAM drive is not a writable drive. Windows 7 gives me the option to format, it just doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Did Windows 7 remove support for DVD-RAM writing/formatting? Remember these are "hard sectored" DVD-RAM discs and NOT DVD-R/RWs. 

Hi,

1.      Did you receive any error message?

2.      Did you make any changes to your computer?

3.      Are you using any third party burning engine to burn the DVD?

4.      Check if the option to enable recording is enabled under DVD properties.

I would suggest you to try burning the DVD using the default burning engine in Windows.

Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-in-Windows-Media-Player-frequently-asked-questions

I would also suggest you to uninstall all the third party burner software’s installed on the system.

Uninstall or change a program

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Uninstall-or-change-a-program

Test the issue after performing the above steps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No changes to the computer have been made. All Windows updates have been performed on both Vista and 7. Hardware functions perfectly in Vista, but not 7. This has not worked in 7 at all since 7 was clean installed on a blank drive. Fresh system too, not an upgrade. No information was transferred from the VIsta drive. Vista is installed on a completely seperate hard drive and does not interfere with the 7 installation.

This is not a normal DVD-R. This is a hard sectored, caddy style, DVD-RAM. They are designed for file storage only, and are therefore formatted in Windows with the UDF file system. This format is done just as you would format a drive in the 'My Computer' section of Windows Explorer, by right clicking on the drive and choosing format. I am using the 5.2GB DVD-RAM discs with 2.6GB per side.

No 3rd party burning software installed. Always have used the Windows Image Burner to burn CD-Rs. This is not used for DVD-RAMs though.

Error messages: "Windows was unable to complete the format" when trying to format the DVD-RAM and "Please insert a disc into Drive J:" when attempting to copy a file to the DVD-RAM. (J is the drive letter for my DVD-RAM drive.)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, wanted to add that I just finished taking the drive out and installing it in another Windows 7 machine that has never had this bit of hardware installed. The drivers were found and installed, but the DVD-RAM format still does not work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not the problem I am having. The problem is that when attempting to format the DVD-RAM as the UDF filesystem (Which I guess is the Live File System) the format completely fails. This type of disc cannot be partitioned it must be formatted as a whole disc. When the format fails, Windows gives an error that the format fails. This is not a filesystem issue as it doesn't matter what UDF version I use, ALL FAIL. As I have said, this EXACT drive works on this EXACT machine in Vista. Vista works fine and 7 doesn't.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem in Win7 32 bit, but it has just started a few weeks ago. I have .NET software that writes backups monthly to a UDF formatted DVDRAM (or DVDRW), but now won't. Looking at the disk, it shows the disk as full, but will not format the disk - error as above.

I have a laptop running Win7 64 bit, which still reads/writes UDF quite happily. The disk is still writeable on the Laptop after Win 7 32 has behaved as described above.

Both machines take all Microsoft updates so are up to date with fixes.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Something extra: I took a DVD RW that had NOT been UDF formatted and used the Win7 32 bit machine to format it as UDF - everything worked and my software wrote the backup!

So possibilities to consider:

1) Is it DVD RAM only?

2) Is Win 7 32 bit on my Desktop machine confused by a DVD RAM disk that was probably created on my 64bit Win 7 Laptop, possibly written by a current version of INCD that I have sometimes used without problems to format RAMdisks?   

Also, don't forget mine worked fine until something changed win7 32 bit AFTER 29/12/12 - the last time my system wrote to UDF RAM on the Desktop.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 3,489 Applies to: