Cannot connect to network printer after installing Windows 7 64-bit.

I have a Windows 2003 print server (32-bit).  I am trying to connect to an HP 2420 printer.  The printer server has the HP Universal 64-bit 6 PCL print driver loaded.  When I try to add the network printer I receive the message - Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Operation failed with error 0x0000007e.

If I add the printer as a local printer using the IP address and pulling the drivers from the server share, I can add the printer.  Our company has multiple HP printers shared from the print server.  HP website indicates the universal print driver should work for Windows 7 machines.  Does anyone have suggestions to resolve this issue?

Question Info

Last updated September 25, 2018 Views 11,195 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
i've just checked hp site for your printer http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=412123&lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=416419&taskId=135 your printer server is 32 bit but your driver is 64 bit why not try loading a 32 bit driver
If this post helps to resolve your issue,Please click the Mark as Answer check mark on this page THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.