Cannot change screen brightness through hotkeys or any other method

I recently got a problem. I have no way to change the brightness of my display. I have looked online and tried all the methods I have seen including reinstalling my chipset driver which includes the graphics card. I have tried the power options which has no slider and no other way to change it, the windows mobility center which also has no options for changing it, there is no option in my BIOS related to the brightness settings, and I cannot change it from the Intel Graphics settings utility. I do not know what happened and how it started. Before I was able to change it with no problems and then sometime in November or December I found I was unable to change them. But I don't know if there was an update at that time that disabled that function. And unfortunately I did not look at the updates when the problem occurred. Has anyone else experienced this problem and knows of another solution? I am using Win7 Pro. Oh and the brightness setting is set to the highest basically. The problem is that I cannot change it down not the other way around.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2019 Views 46,142 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello dezxter,

1.     What is the Make and manufacturer of your computer?

If you have not tried to change the settings, you can refer this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Adjust-your-monitors-brightness-and-contrast

Since that you are not able to change the brightness with even with the hot keys, the issue can also be related to hardware, I suggest that you contact your computer manufacturer to check if there is any issue with batter or the monitor.

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have an Asus Eee pc 1005HA so it is a laptop. And I used to be able to change it but sometime early last month or late november I could no longer do it. And as I stated in my above post I have tried many different things to change the brightness and none of them work. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the monitor and I am quite sure there is nothing wrong with the battery. But doesn't matter if I am on I have the same problem wither way. I have the latest updated driver for my chipset which includes video. It would really be great if someone could help me with this. It is driving me crazy and taking a long time off my battery life. I can still get something like 4 hours but am going to go on a very long plane trip in a couple months and want to be able to use it for longer. I have something on my laptop enabling me to automatically change the power plan in use when I go from battery power to the plug or vice-versa. But I can't even change the options for the power plans in the power options part of the control panel. It is like windows doesn't recognize that the brightness can be changed on my display.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi dezxter,

That function is not controlled by Windows.

It is likely controlled by software/firmware that Asus installed.

You should contact them for a solution, like a download to install from their website.

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So changing the brightness is not related to windows at all? I know that the hotkeys don't have a relationship to windows but I thought that the windows settings also allowed for me to change the brightness from there, except all the options that used to be there allowing me to change the brightness are now gone. I am just trying to figure out why they disappeared so I can fix the problem.

Oh and I already have all the downloads from their site for my computer. Like I said I was able to change it before but now cannot. I saw online that someone had had this problem once because of an update installed to windows and when they uninstalled it the problem went away. But Ididn't notice the problem that fast and so have no idea what updates to try uninstalling to see if the problem goes away.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not aware of a way to change the brightness from within Windows.

You can adjust some aspects of the display through the Display Color Calibration feature, but these are the directions that feature indicates for brightness:

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There used to be a way to change the brightness within windows using the options in the power options. But there no longer is. There was a slider which changed the brightness but it has disappeared wince the ability to change brightness was gone. Apparently, whatever caused the problem also made the slider disappear.

Sorry this didn't help.

Eventually I ended up being able to change te brightness. It seems that another program I had installed had also installed a display driver which was somehow overriding my graphics card's display driver. So although I didn't know it would solve the problem I uninstalled the program when I stopped using it. And now the problem is gone.

Sorry this didn't help.

Eventually I ended up being able to change te brightness. It seems that another program I had installed had also installed a display driver which was somehow overriding my graphics card's display driver. So although I didn't know it would solve the problem I uninstalled the program when I stopped using it. And now the problem is gone.

What was that program?  If you give a list of suspects, we would appreciate it. I've had this problem off and on for about a year, and it's certainly annoying. It's not always disabled - sometimes I can, sometimes can't. When I can, then Fn+Home works, or I can use
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options

and move the slider at the bottom. When I can't, then Fn+Home fails, *and* the slider doesn't show up. So it seems to be more than just a driver, because Control Panel also changes its appearance.

-Ben, in California.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The program I had a problem was teamviewer, more specifically the display driver which I installed with it.

61 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the information sir, i too faced the problem and got it after i read the last post. 
If you install the Team viewer software display driver it over-rides your basic driver and makes your 'Display Brightness' option to disappear. . . 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.