Question

BSOD BugCheckCode 278 - on third video card

Sidney.A asked on
My entire pc has been crashing often. It started off quite slow (every few days) and increased to 7+ times per day. It originally only happened while playing World of Warcraft and increased to happening during other games.

I used to run 2 video cards with SLI - GTX 570s. I have RMA'd both cards. Currently only have 1 card in (haven't received second new one yet). Whenever I remove 1 card, I switch my nvidia control panel to turn SLI off. Basically, I'm on my THIRD video card. I installed this current one yesterday and within 4 hours of install, crashed again.

When it crashes, sometimes the screen is a bright green, sometimes a salmon colour, sometimes it's been grey, bright pink, sometimes that rainbow/snow look. 

I have memory dumps turned on but they don't save. My main drive that holds windows is a Solid State Drive. I have all my video games on a second drive which is not an SSD and at some point I tried having memory dump save to the second drive and despite being set to my second drive, it wouldn't save. Since then, it won't save even to it's default location.

Since it won't save memory dumps, I can't use the WhoCrashed program, however, in the past before memory dumps stopped saving, it always came up as Nvidia drivers that crashed.

All drivers are up to date. I even tried letting things update beta drivers, that didn't make any difference. As far as I know, power supply is strong enough to handle 2 cards, never mind just 1.

Specs:

Ram: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Corsair AX 1200 - ATX Power Supply
Mother Board: P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3
CPU: i5-2500k Sandy Bridge

Error:

EventData 

BugcheckCode 278 
BugcheckParameter1 0xfffffa80118641a0 
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff88005f83f50 
BugcheckParameter3 0xffffffffc000009a 
BugcheckParameter4 0x4 
SleepInProgress false 
PowerButtonTimestamp 0 

At this point I'm wondering what else can cause this issue. It's always the 278 code. Any research I did told me that it was a video card which was the reason I RMA'd both cards. EVGA seemed to agree. Could it be my motherboard? Could it be cables?

Really at a loss here.  I originally posted this a day or 2 ago on other tech support forums and haven't even seen a single response yet, so I'm trying here.  At this point, it's crashing often again.

Thanks, hoping someone can help!

Note:  DxDiag is too big even for it's own post :/
4 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Hi Sidney,

Very glad to hear, good work! If and when you are comfortable and feel your issue has been solved, I'd recommend marking the post of mine that answered your question so this thread no longer shows up as requiring an answer.

Regards,

Patrick
Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress