Bluetooth headset Motorola S805 not working with Windows 7

The headset worked just fine with Windows Vista on my HP HDX 18T laptop until I upgraded to Win 7 recently. The headset is detected by Win 7 but the OS is unable to find the required dirvers. It directs me to a software updater on the Broadcomm website but the installer fails midway saying its unable to identify the device. I contacted HP support and updated the bluetooth software but the problem persists. HP suggested that I revert to Vista and upgrade to Win 7 from it rather than a do a clean install, but I cannot do that because I need more partitions on my harddrive than the default Vista istallation on HP allows.

|
Answer
Answer

Hi kumaramesh,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

The compatibility details of Bluetooth headset Motorola S805 with Windows 7 is unknown and is not listed in the Windows 7 compatibility Center.

Refer the link below for more details:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?type=Hardware&s=Motorola%20S805&page=1

I’d suggest you to visit the Motorola website and download and install the latest Windows 7 compatible drivers.

If Windows 7 drivers aren’t available, you may download the Windows Vista drivers and install the same in compatibility mode.

To install the software (drivers) in Vista Compatibility mode,
1. Right click the installation file and select Properties.
2. Click the Compatibility tab.
3. Under Compatibility mode, check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” option.
4. Select the Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the available options.
5. Click Apply and OK.

Refer the link below for more information on compatibility mode:

Make older programs run in this version of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Gokul - Microsoft Support

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
To everyone who has been having problems with S805, I feel your pain.

My S805 headphones have always had issues when running in Vista regardless of what type of Bluetooth dongle I would use.  Fortunately, I only use them at work on a machine running XP.  However, I recently upgraded to Windows 7, which, unfortunately, does not have an existing driver that supports the S805.

This is quite a lengthy process, but, if you are desperate to make your S805 headphones work on Windows 7, you probably don't have any other choice.  You have to follow these steps in the order that they are written or it will not work.

Here's how I made it work:

1. Download the Broadcom Bluetooth driver stack here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php
2. Right click the installation file and select Properties.
3. Click the Compatibility tab.
4. Under Compatibility mode, check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” option.
5. Select the Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the available options.
6. Under Privilege Level, check the "Run this program as administrator" option.
7. Click Apply and OK.

Install the Broadcom Bluetooth driver stack:

1. Make sure your Bluetooth dongle is plugged into your computer.
2. Double-click the installer file.
3. Allow the installation to complete.
4. Restart your computer.

NOTE: You will not be able to click 'My Bluetooth Places' shortcut due to compatibility mode issues.  If you attempt to do this, Windows 7 will give you a 'Windows Explorer has closed' error.

Pair the S805 headphones:

1. Switch the S805 headphones to pairing mode (depress the call button until the blue LED light remains on).
2. Right-click on the Bluetooth icon in the notification area on the Windows taskbar.
3. Select 'Add a Bluetooth device.'
4. In the Bluetooth Setup dialog that appears, click Next.
5. Allow the search to complete.  Motorola S805 should show-up.
6. Select Motorola S805 and click Next.
7. In the Bluetooth Service Selection dialog, check 'Hands-Free unit' and 'Stereo Audio.'
8. Click Finish.

Connect the S805 Headphones via Bluetooth:

1. Right-click on the Bluetooth icon in the notification area on the Windows taskbar.
2. Select Quick Connect.
3. Select Stereo Audio Gateway.
4. Click Motorola S805.  The Bluetooth icon will turn from white to green, signifying that you are connected.

Set Your S805 Headphones as the Default Playback Device:

1. Right-click on the volume icon in the notification area on the Windows 7 taskbar.
2. Select Playback Devices.
3. On the Playback tab, select the Bluetooth Stereo Audio headphones icon.
4. Select 'Set Default' from the dropdown options.
5. Click on Apply then click on OK.

After following the above steps, your S805 headphones should now work with Windows 7.

Good luck!

I don't work for Microsoft so please do not contact me if this does not work for you.  If it does, spread the word.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 28, 2019 Views 18,111 Applies to: