Bluetooth 2.0 headset device not detected

I have Windows 7 64-bit, a Bluetooth 2.1 USB Micro adapter by IOGear,

http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU421/dp/B0018O9JIG/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

with driver software which was successfully installed onto my machine. I am trying to get Windows 7 to detect my Bluetooth 2.0 headset receiver,

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Rechargeable-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B003MRQZCU/ref=pd_cp_e_1

but even if I enable "allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" (in Windows 7 Bluetooth settings), the headset is not detected when I attempt to Add a Device. I even have the headset device on and in pair mode. What could be the issue? Is Windows 7 compatible with Bluetooth 2.0 devices?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Mohanad

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, it was worth a shot, but Windows still can't detect the Bluetooth headset device. My guess is the problem has more to do with the Bluetooth headset, and not so much with the Bluetooth 2.1 USB adapter or Windows 7. Unless maybe Windows 7 isn't compatible with Bluetooth 2.0 devices, I don't know.

I searched the forums and found this thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/ac52e23f-7b82-43f9-81e6-5af89309ebbb

not sure if this applies to my situation though.

Maybe one of the moderators knows?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too had an IOMega Bluetooth adapter.  They are based on the Broadcom (Widcomm) Bluetooth drivers / protocol stack.  A lot of other people have posted their "bad" experience with the Broadcom Bluetooth.  Most of the time, the Broadcom Bluetooth "never" works.  It still allows Microsoft's own built-in Bluetooth protocol to handle all Bluetooth functions.  Microsoft's Bluetooth protocol is known to not let Bluetooth audio to be transferred.  I have since "dumped" my Broadcom Bluetooth dongle and replaced it with a Toshiba based adapter from Cirago.  It at least found my cellphone Bluetooth earpiece.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks that's good to know, maybe I should return the Broadcom Bluetooth driver. Although their product issupposed to be compatible according to Microsoft 

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=IOGEAR%20GBU421%20Bluetooth%20USB%20Micro%20Wireless%20Network%20Adapter&v=IOGEAR&uid=GBU421&l=en-US&pf=0&pi=8&s=network%20adapter&os=64-bit

But if it doesn't support audio transfer, then it's not really going to be useful. My primary use is for audio, and what I really want to do is have a wireless receiver, that I can plug my favorite earbuds into, receive audio from my computer.

If this doesn't work out I may return both products and try the Cirago adapter. And if that's the case then I will let everyone know my customer experience with these sellers/manufacturers. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Most any other protocol stack seems to work.  Broadcom is supposed to take over the Bluetooth functions but they somehow do not.  The adapter is not at fault.  The Broadcom (Widcomm) Bluetooth protocol is broken.  It has been also posted that the Broadcom "official" download of their protocol has been temporary removed until "they" repair it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That looks like the way to go. I've e-mailed the IOGear support staff (iogear.com) about the Bluetooth 2.1 USB Micro adapter not working on Windows 7. I've also sent e-mails to the support staffs of the of the HFBLU-STCL1 Bluetooth (v2.0) Stereo Headset, both seller (Accessory Genie) and manufacturer (mizo.com). I haven't heard back yet, but it looks doubtful that the tech support is going to come through with an easy solution on getting this to work. So I'll probably end up returning the adapter to amazon.com, and getting the Cirago. If the headset still doesn't work, then I'll return that too and comment on that, too.

Even if there is a workaround to get this Broadcom/Widcomm/IOGear technology to work on Windows 7, this troubleshooting has already been enough of a hassle.. Shouldn't the expectation be plug and play?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In reality, it's Microsoft's problem.  They seem to not WHQL certify the Bluetooth dongles and have not advanced their own Bluetooth protocol.  If they were to certify and enhanced thier own protocol then th multiple protocol stacks would probably not be needed.  With less available and different protocol stacks, we would probably not have "these type" of issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have heard back from the support staffs of mizco (headset manufacturer), Accessory Genie (amazon.com seller of the headset), and IOGear today. They all of course asked the redundant question of whether I put the headset into pairing mode, which I explicitly mentioned in each of my e-mails to them, that I did put the headset in pairing mode.

Accessory Genie, the seller, asked me to try pairing the headset with another device other than the IOGear Bluetooth adapter. So I tried pairing the mizco headset (HFBLU-STCL1) with my Bluetooth-enabled Motorola cellphone, which interestingly was able to identify some Bluetooth devices outside my apartment, but not the headset, which is named HFBLU-STCL1 according to its instruction manual. That name never came up when my cell phone was searching.

The IOGear adapter however, could not detect the same Bluetooth devices that even my cell phone was able to detect. IOGear wants me to try testing their adapter with another Bluetooth device, which doesn't seem unreasonable since maybe the HFBLU-STCL1 headset is the problem, but since I don't have any other Bluetooth devices at the moment, I'd have to go out and buy a Bluetooth device just to test IOGear's adapter.

I could take excerpts out of the e-mails verbatim, but I don't know if that would be in violation of some policy (?).

Since we know the Toshiba/Cirago adapter works, does anyone know of a Bluetooth stereo/headset receiver which has actually been proven to work with Windows 7?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All Bluetooth dongles work in Windows 7.  It just that Microsoft's Bluetooth stack just does not transfer audio and the Widcomm (Broadcom) stack has been proven to not work correctly, thus falling back to Microsoft's Bluetooth.

It would seem that not all Bluetooth protocol stack provide have problems.  Several other providers that seem to work:

Bluesoleil

Toshiba

Motorrola

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

EDIT:

The HFBLU-STCL1 headset was able to be discovered on a Windows XP machine using the IOGear Bluetooth adapter, however, the headset cannot get any sound, even though the volume is turned up, not on mute, and works when my earbuds are plugged directly into the machine.

I am certainly going to return the IOGear USB adapter to amazon.com and purchase the Cirago instead. Not because I think IOGear's hardware is bad, but because like you said, the Broadcom/Widcomm and Microsoft Bluetooth stacks have issues when it comes to Bluetooth audio. 

smlunatick, did the Cirago come with a CD to install the driver, or did you have to download it? Also, are there any light-weight Bluetooth receiver's you'd suggest for headphones i.e. this Belkin one? http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492-Bluetooth-Receiver-iPhone/dp/B0035JL35O

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2024 Views 6,940 Applies to: