Black/Blank Screen; Projector Error Message

I am having trouble with my laptop (Dell Latitude E6510 w/ Windows 7) frequently flashing to a blank/black screen when I am using it.  Even while blank/black, it'll keep playing music and running whatever programs were up before it flashed to black.  
I can get it to show my active screen again by pressing Fn + F8 a bunch of times.  When it comes back to my normal screen, I have the four options for using a projector popped up on the screen (computer only, projector only, extend, and duplicate), and often the screen is oddly distorted (enlarged/stretched).  Sometimes it will come back on its own and give an error message that it was unable to connect to a projector.  I've never used the computer to connect to a projector, though I sometimes log in remotely to my desktop at work.  
Any ideas how to keep this from happening?

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 808 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi,

1. For how long have you had the issue?
2. Did you make any changes to your computer prior to the issue occurring?

Follow the steps.

Step 1:

Update your display drivers and check if the issue persists.

Step 2:

Test the issue in safe mode

Step 3:

If the issue does not persists in safe mode, then there must be a third party software that is causing the issue to occur, hence I'd suggest you to put your computer in a Clean Boot state.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Put your computer back to normal mode (Step 7).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.