Belkin Router N+ with USB drive for storage and Windows 7 arent getting along?

Hi, ALL!

We have a Belkin wireless router N+ with a usb "slot" a the very back with the rest of the cables. The USB option is actually the one thing that made me buy the router in the 1st place!!! Anyways, it does not work when connected to the router even though network is up and running perfectly. It is a Seagate external harddrive and when it's plugged in it's top lights up, there is no power cord for it to be plugged into the wall. NTFS system i believe. I am using Windows 7. i have tried so many different things attempting to connect this dag on drive to the router, i've exhausted all efforts it seems. On the belkin website under my model it does have a Belkin Storage Manager, but it isnt even an application, it's just a tray that sits on the bottom of my screen, the only thing i can do to it is shut it down, that is the only command that pops up. Oh and the site also says i could input my routers address in IE followed by a slash, and input my seagate's name.. the drive is H, so i've tried various versions of H:, tried FreeAgentDrive, etc...

SO.. i'm thinking this is a windows issue, b/c not only does Seagate itself light up, under the router's settings (through IE, routers default setting page) USB shows as connected. As well as the light on the front of the router is "active", blue and working.

hm.. i run windows 7 Professional / 64-bit / not sure what other information i need to give... i dont think the external drive would have it's own IP address while connected to router... could it? Also, my service is comcast with Dynamic IP assignments... so it wouldnt stay the same iether way... correct?

oh, and the external drive works wonderful plugged directly into my laptop and an XP computer at work... so maybe router isn't talking to computer correctly about the drive... should i have some kind of security "allowances" on that drive before i put it on belkin?

i'm sorry this is a NOVEL, someone help PLEASE?! i've been tackling this problem on and off for a year.. i'm getting very frustrated with this!

:D

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2019 Views 7,332 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Not just a Windows 7 problem or Bewlkin.  My Netgear WNDR 3700 also has USB hard drive port.  Things to do:

-- Update the router's internal "firmware" (aka unit software) by following the direction (usually must be done via an Ethernet connected PC.)

-- Check with Belkin for a list of "compatible" hard drives.  Some newer units might not work

-- Enable UPNP and / or DLNA services.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Try to change the drive letter to y or X.
mohanad
Mohanad

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.