Any workarounds for no 64-bit Canon printer driver?

I'm looking for creative ideas on my friend's current conundrum.  He got a new $400 Compaq PC from Best Buy loaded w/ Windows 7 64-bit.  All went swimmingly well until we got to his Canon ImagePass D660 laser printer.  No 64-bit driver.  Canon will never create a 64-bit driver for it.  He LOVES this printer and does not want to abandon it.  We can print to the printer from a laptop we converted from 32-bit Vista to 32-bit 7.  I'd share the printer from the laptop to the desktop but I believe that would still require a 64-bit driver.

I see only two options, unless someone can suggest another:

1. Repurchase Win 7 at retail; wipe & reload the PC with 32-bit.  Not sure if 32-bit drivers are available for the internal hardware.  No CD came with the PC, either.

2. Return the PC and locate another PC with 32-bit loaded - probably via Dell or HP online.

If there is ANY way to circumvent a problem where there is no 64-bit support for a printer but another networked PC can print via 32-bit, I'd love to know about it.  Thanks for any help that can be passed on!

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,274 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Compaq will either have supplied a recovery disk set or there will be a hidden recovery partition which you access to burn the recovery disks, Compaq site support FAQ's for the specific model will tell you

Even if networked you would need to install the Printer software / drivers on the local PC

The Cannon is an old model (2002) with only drivers for win9* thru winxp

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.