AMD/ATI video driver has stopped working properly

Some elements on web pages have ceased to function.  For instance the information tiles on a Fitbit dashboard homepage will not display their information.  When I checked the computer's status a message in the System Action Center had two messages that said the AMD/ATI Video Driver has stopped working properly.  When I click the icon for more information one sent me to a KB article on HP's website.  Not helpful to me.  The other one says I can't download the solution and to check my internet connection (which is working fine).

I tried to install a new AMD driver that their website suggested after retrieving my card info, but halfway thru the computer went into safe mode and a minute or two later shut down, stopping the install.  Obviously I wasn't suppose to do that!!!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/amdati-graphics-driver-wont-install-without/3eb41da4-c6a5-420b-889f-3058f8f5243d

AMD/ATI Graphics Driver won't install without computer stepping in and shutting down.
I followed Mr. Stuart's advice and removed all AMD/ATI driver programs and went thru the install for new driver. Once again it loaded 130+mgb of info and part way through the installation process, the computer spontaneously shut down "to protect information," or something on that order.

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2018 Views 30,962 Applies to:
Answer

​Hi,

Usually this type of issues occur when there is any third party program/app is causing this issue. You may also face this issue if the driver is not removed completely.

I would suggest you to remove the driver software from the Device Manager and then try to install the latest driver from the AMD website and check if it works.

To uninstall from device manager follow the steps given below. To uninstall drivers

a) Click on Start menu, type in devmgmt.msc to open the Device Manager.

b) The Device Manager will then display a list of installed devices in the right pane of the console.

c) Expand the category for Display adapters.

d) Right-click the device and select Properties.

e) Select the Driver tab on the device's Properties dialog box.

f) Click the Uninstall Driver button.

A dialog box will pop up asking you to confirm ‘Uninstall’. Click OK to proceed.

Once you have removed the driver software completely, try installing the latest driver software.

Please reply with the status of the issue, so that we could help you in a better way.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.