Alps touchpad on a Dell Latitude D520 does not function properly with Windows 7.

I am looking for a fix for an ALPS touchpad on a Dell Latitude D520. I upgraded to Windows 7 and the original Alps driver has "known compatibility issues" and will not install.
The generic Windows 7 driver will not allow several features including, but not limited to: enable/disable tapping, gestures, & scrolling. There is an Alps driver for Vista, but not for Windows 7 as of yet. Is there a timeframe of when Alps, Dell, or Windows will have a remedy for this issue? I've also tried the Synaptics driver, which installs and works, but basically with the same functionality of the generic Win 7 driver, I'm looking for a driver equivelent to the original Win XP driver, first and foremost tapping needs to be disabled above all else. Does anyone else have this problem or a fix for it?

Answer
Answer

If you have Windows 7 32-bit installed, you might get away with installing the Vista driver in compatibility mode. Not sure how well that'll work in 64-bit.

Since the Latitude D520 was not designed with Windows 7 in mind, you may not ever get a 'true' Windows 7 driver for it from Dell or Alps. And Microsoft doesn't write 3rd party drivers, although they use 'generic' drivers from some other companies. Unfortunately for the end user, these are quite often crippled in one way or another.

SC Tom
-There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2020 Views 2,041 Applies to: