After installing a second WD 1TB My Book drive, Windows Explorer does not see the new drive.

Original Title: Signature Collision?

I am having difficulty installing a second external drive. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate RC. There was one WD 1TB My Book drive already installed - healthy and functioning fine. The problem occured after installing a second WD 1TB My Book drive. I followed all instructions, pluuging the drive into a USB Hub. Windows discovered the drive, installed the drivers and reported the new drive ready for use.

Windows Explorer does not see the new drive. Devices and Printers shows 2 external WD drives. Disk managemant also shows 2 drives but the second drive is offline because of a "Signature Collision".

Each drive works fine if it is the only drive plugged in. "Eject My Book" does not work because a program (or more) is using the drive in the background (Windows or Norton).

I've installed the latest firmware and am still having this problem. I've been emailing WD with this problem and they have run out of ideas.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
Comatose13

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2018 Views 84,917 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Comatose13,

There is an old Windows XP KB article that was recently updated with additional steps to resolve these types of issues. The KB covers Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 with step by step methods. See if this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330140

Bobby

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

This is horrible advise unless you know the drive is empty.  Use the Windows Diskpart command.  Select the Offline Disk.  Enter the command Online Disk.  Diskpart is much more powerful than the Disk Management.  I had this problem and Diskpart brought the drive online with NO issues where Disk Manager continued reporting a Signature Collision.

Sorry to sound harsh but to format the disk?  I would think removing the disk and doing an Import Foreign Media would probably work allowing you to then place the disk bakc into the original computer.  If you still get Signature Collision...use the above it works fine.

My Signature collision was cause by Acronis Disk Suite...HORRIBLE software if you have Windows 7....have had noting but problems...seems any disk it touches corrupts the MBR and Signaure area.

I had this exact same problem and I used this answer to help me. In my case I left a second hard disk inside my drive when I rebuilt my primary disk with Windows 7. The second drive wouldn't be seen in Windows Explorer, Disk Management showed me the disk was present but "Offline due to Signature Collision" - there wasn't an option to make the disk go online via right click either.

I took the second disk to work, put it into a caddy and moved all the information off of it and then ran a full format. Came back home and plugged it in but no joy. I couldn't right click and make the disk go "online" again through Disk Management as before. I ran across this answer through google and as a thank you will write up the process.

If you have the same problem of Signature Collision try to go to "Manage Computer" and then "Disk Management", find your drive and then right click to make it go "online". If it wont work then go to a command prompt and type the following in " ", hit return to move through:

"Disk Part"

(this brings up a separate window in Win 7)

"List Disk"

(This will show you which disks can by physically seen, offline and online)

"select disk X"

(Where x is the number of the disk you want to make online)

"online disk"

(This should bring you a message saying your disk is now online)

"Exit"

This takes you back to windows and you should now see your disk through Windows Explorer. Thanks for the start KevinEBrown!!

phil

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.