Adding drivers for LaserWriter 16/600 PS on 64-bit Windows 7 (64, x64)?

Trying to get a network-connected LaserWriter 16/600 printing on a 64 bit version of Windows 7.  Have tried adding the 32bit XP driver (lw16600), no success.  Have tried adding the HP LaserJet III Postscript Cartridge v52.2 and adding the printer via TCP/IP, no success.  Any help greatly appreciated.

|
Answer
Answer

Actually, worse than that; using the 10T transceiver with it.  BUT, I got it to WORK!

Here's how.  (found the key, namely LP at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54859-3-apple-laserwriter-windows-vista-machine )

Part A (same as above):

downloaded XP pro x64

mounted ISO

Start->Run->"printui /s /t2"-> ctrl+shift+enter (to run as admin)

Add... -> x64-> Have Disk -> amd64\ntprint.inf -> Apple ->Laserwriter 16/600 PS

Then: Control Panel ->Devices and Printers, Add Printer, Add Local Printer, Create a New Port, Standard TCP/IP Port, Add the printer's IP address, (wait several minutes for it to time out), tell it Generic Network Card, (wait for it to time out again), Have Disk, choose the same NTPRINT.inf file as above, tell it to keep the current driver, finish.

Naturally, it appears to have loaded, but can't talk to the printer, though I can telnet to it.  Not to make it print to the network.

Part B: printing to it

Control Panel

Programs and Features

Turn Windows features on or off

Expand Print and Document Services

Check LPR Port Monitor

OK

Go to printer

Right-click->printer properties->Ports

Check the port you've set for the printer (the Standard TCP/IP Port), then click Configure Port

set port to 515 (do this first; it grays out when you set protocol).  Set protocol to LPR, Queue Name = lp (lowercase LP), LPR Byte Counting Enabled.

Note that this is FINICKY.  All these settings have to be just right.  If any of them are off, it won't work.

MANY THANKS, Alan!  Any way I can repay you for the help?  I'm not going to PASS this year, so I doubt I'll be anywhere near you anytime soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Find someone with x64 XP Pro or Server 2003 SP1 x64 CD.  The driver for this printer are included on those two sources.    If you have a subsciption to MSDN that would work too.
Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Formerly with Windows print team

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2021 Views 9,654 Applies to: