Add an IPP printer via http://w.x.y.z:631/some/path fails with "Windows could not connect to the printer. Check the printer name and try again"

- I have both IPP and LPR enabled as windows 7 features

- the system has been rebooted (no need to restart print spooler)

- this address works with other windows xp and linux boxes on the lan

- firewall turned off (not that it would matter)

- I installed wireshark and sniffed the traffic to the print server.  When I select "next" after entering 'select a shared printer by name', Windows7 sends 2 IPP Get-Printer-Attribute requests; the printer responds to both with Successful-OK and healthy attributes including printer-is-accepting-jobs: true.

- I installed hotfix KB 982643 and rebooted but the problem persists.

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2019 Views 2,579 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Finally found the answer.  The HP 1100 was being served by the Cisco/Linksys 10/100 print server.  It turns out this printserver's firmware has a bug -- the HTTP response headers back to win7 (well any client really) were incorrect.  Specifically the print server was responding to the ipp requests with HTTP headers that did not include a newline between Content-Length: xxContent-Type: application/ipp;.  I wrote a proxy service for the win7 box which rewrote the ipp response from the print server to insert a newline here.  Then I pointed win7 to a "localhost:631" remote printer.  Voila, Win7 is happy with the response and all is well.

This means that the Win7 ipp client is more strict than the XP, and it means that anyone trying to use a Cisco/Linksys 10/100 print server with Win7 is likely not going to be able to get it to work.  What a shame!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.